Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 1 year of owning and riding my KLR I thought I would give my opinion on this bike. It is a 2004 Red in color. I have used it from everything from Interstate riding to two lane hwys, and lots of dirt roads. Anyone thinking of getting one do it, you won't regret it.

I have taken many trips on I-5 in California and also SR 99. The bike handled them with no problem, I would never hesitate to get onto an Interstate any time. Wind is sometimes an issue, but it has never stopped me from getting up to speed on any Freeway. As some of you may know SR 99 & I-5 through CA is a main trucking lane through Ca. I have had no problems on my bike even with the many trucks on the Freeways. As far as keeping up, no problem, I can cruise 75-80 and never feel as though I am working the KLR too hard. It just seems to want to go all day long. Oil consuption has not been a problem either, even at high speeds.

The bike really shines on the twisty 2 lane back roads. It just seems to be made for that kind of riding, it will handle any corner you throw at it with ease. Dirt roads are a breeze on this bike, it seems to just come alive on the fire and logging roads. I have not come across a road the KLR could not handle. For serious off road riding (motocross) this is not the machine, but I don't do much of that. I have taken some pretty hairy trails and the bike is a little cumbersome, with a little muscle and really watching what you are doing the KLR will go where you want it to. But like I said it is a little heavy for serious off road riding.

Just to give you an idea on how much I love this bike, I have two Sportsters, and a 72 Triumph that haven't been ridden in a year. This bike has become my favorite ride period. It has plenty of power for me and it's capabilities are just endless. It's the go anywhere do anything motorcycle. This is the most fun bike I have ever owned, and if I had to pick one bike to ride for the rest of my life, the KLR would win hands down.

It is a simple, rugged, somewhat primitave machine, but that's what motorcycles are supposed to be. It is truely the essence of of what a bike should be, a motorcyle in it's purist form.

I have thought about buying an 08 KLR, but why? I'm having too much fun on what I have now. I plan to keep this bike until it falls apart, if that ever happens. Given the reliabilty, and ruggedness of this bike, that may be a long time away.

That is just my opinion, some may disagree, but you can't argue the abilities of this great bike.

Mark

·
Registered
95 Posts
Very well written, I have a 08 and are about to go over 3k miles, have had 0 issues and when she reach's a year old I will post on her highs and lows, if there are any lows...

·
Registered
15 Posts
After 1 year of owning and riding my KLR I thought I would give my opinion on this bike. It is a 2004 Red in color. I have used it from everything from Interstate riding to two lane hwys, and lots of dirt roads. Anyone thinking of getting one do it, you won't regret it.

I have taken many trips on I-5 in California and also SR 99. The bike handled them with no problem, I would never hesitate to get onto an Interstate any time. Wind is sometimes an issue, but it has never stopped me from getting up to speed on any Freeway. As some of you may know SR 99 & I-5 through CA is a main trucking lane through Ca. I have had no problems on my bike even with the many trucks on the Freeways. As far as keeping up, no problem, I can cruise 75-80 and never feel as though I am working the KLR too hard. It just seems to want to go all day long. Oil consuption has not been a problem either, even at high speeds.

The bike really shines on the twisty 2 lane back roads. It just seems to be made for that kind of riding, it will handle any corner you throw at it with ease. Dirt roads are a breeze on this bike, it seems to just come alive on the fire and logging roads. I have not come across a road the KLR could not handle. For serious off road riding (motocross) this is not the machine, but I don't do much of that. I have taken some pretty hairy trails and the bike is a little cumbersome, with a little muscle and really watching what you are doing the KLR will go where you want it to. But like I said it is a little heavy for serious off road riding.

Just to give you an idea on how much I love this bike, I have two Sportsters, and a 72 Triumph that haven't been ridden in a year. This bike has become my favorite ride period. It has plenty of power for me and it's capabilities are just endless. It's the go anywhere do anything motorcycle. This is the most fun bike I have ever owned, and if I had to pick one bike to ride for the rest of my life, the KLR would win hands down.

It is a simple, rugged, somewhat primitave machine, but that's what motorcycles are supposed to be. It is truely the essence of of what a bike should be, a motorcyle in it's purist form.

I have thought about buying an 08 KLR, but why? I'm having too much fun on what I have now. I plan to keep this bike until it falls apart, if that ever happens. Given the reliabilty, and ruggedness of this bike, that may be a long time away.

That is just my opinion, some may disagree, but you can't argue the abilities of this great bike.

Mark
say no more!!!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
It is a simple, rugged, somewhat primitave machine, but that's what motorcycles are supposed to be. It is truely the essence of what a bike should be, a motorcyle in it's purist form.

Mark
Well said!:8: After 14,000 miles myself I don't think the essence of why the KLR is loved by so many could be better explained.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the kind comments, I guess as you can tell I love my bike. Just got back from a week on the Central Coast (CA), it was a blast. Nothing quite as beautiful as California's Central Coast, (IMHO). Seeing from the KLR makes it just that much better.

My next ride/family getaway will be the Napa Valley for 9 days. I can't wait!

Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not many true "go anywhere do anything " bike's that can actually live up to that tag, the KLR is one of those rare machine's that does. Let's hope they don't lose the recipe.........

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
OK heres a few from my trip to the Central Coast.

Why does this make me think that you're wondering where all the stuff in your back pack fell out at along the way? :) LOL

·
Registered
160 Posts
Nice Pic's

Hey, that's amazing... I thought those stripped horses only lived in Africa.

Photos ofthe Ocean are great, I will be there next year....not sure when, but it's on list.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Striped Horses

Backroader,

Those Zebras are left over from a zoo that was owned by W.R. Hearst. He had many exotic animals imported from all over the world for his zoo at Hearst Castle. The Zebras now roam his large ranch along with cattle and horses.

My trip to Napa did not work out so we went back to the coast instead. This time I saw Dolphins, wild turkeys, and peacocks. the dolphins were off the coast of Cambria. The turkeys and peacocks I saw riding out Santa Rosa Creek Road. The weather was gloomy all week except yesterday. But I rode anyway, once you get away from the coast it gets hot real quick.

If you can get over to the coast, I highly recommend it. I don't know of a more beautiful place than the Central Coast of California. When you are threre ride Highway 1 from Morro Bay to Monterey, you will see some of the most breathtaking scenery there is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts