Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just passed the 1 thousand mile mark on my 2014 KLR. I picked it up last month with only 80 original miles...that's right 80. Old guy who bought it in 2014 developed some health issues after buying it so he only occasionally rode it around the block.

It has been an interesting ride so far. Got most of the upgrades done. Doo-hickey, Thermo-bob, JD jetting kit and opened up the air box, removed all the smog junk, Uni air filter, Rox risers and fat bars, I refashioned and installed the stock bar end weights and boy howdy do they greatly reduce the vibration in the bars. I have 4 different height windscreens and they all suck. The turbulence zone these produce hit my helmet at various heights causing very annoying vibration/buffeting. The latest upgrade is a taller windscreen fitted with a "laminal lip." This did the trick. Playing with the adjustment of the wing greatly reduced the turbulence. On warm days I like to open my face shield one click. With all the other screens the wind would close the shield around 50 mph. With the latest tall screen and lip my shield stays open at all speeds. Been up to 85 without a problem.

Back to the air box. My first airbox was melted to S$#@T. The previous owner had installed SW Motech engine guards and must have loosened the muffler clamp and forgot to tighten it. Apparently this caused a major exhaust leak blasting into the air box. Sucker was all distorted and had numerous holes melted in it on both the clean and dirty sides. Fortunately I discovered this with only a couple of hundred miles on it. Factory air boxes are on hard backorder. I was fortunate to find a used one on Ebay for $33. Next upgrades are Cogent rear shock and the fork DDC drop in valving. They have been ordered and should arrive the around end of October. Also probably will do some mods/rebuilding on the stock seat.

I got the KLR to slow down and act my age, I will be 70 in December. My last bike was a KTM 790 Duke and that sucker sure could put down some fast lap times and I was more than happy to oblige it.

So my thoughts at 1k miles are: Very comfortable, surprisingly good handling on the street but surprising bad handling in the dirt. That is fine as my dirt is only about 5% and mostly dirt roads to connect pavement sections. Yes she do vibrate but the doo-hickey did help tame this somewhat. I have found that 72 mph on the clock is the sweet spot vibration wise for highway cruising. Wind protection is really good especially with the taller screen. Although the stock handguards are kinda cheesy, they do provide great wind protection. Bike should be pretty comfy this winter in the cooler temps. Here in California we can ride year around. No winterization required. Power wise it is a bit on the sleepy side so one must carefully plan your overtakes and passing. Riding the KLR reminds me of Nascar restrictor plate racing. You have to keep up your momentum as you don't have the raw power to speed up quickly. I was surprised to recently discover the engine was pinging on 87 octane. Switching to 91 resolved the problem.

Overall I am quite happy with my low mileage OMB...Old Man Bike. I believe it will serve me well as I ride off into the sunset of my long riding career.
Sky Ecoregion People in nature Afterglow Gesture

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
Great review! Your suspension mods should help it’s off-road handling quite a bit.
This bike is perfect in no way, but always finds a stall in my garage! Currently on my 3rd klr.
If only it had another 20hp and weighed 80lbs less…..

· Registered
2022 KLR 650 Pearl Sand Khaki
139 Posts
Just passed the 1 thousand mile mark on my 2014 KLR. I picked it up last month with only 80 original miles...that's right 80. Old guy who bought it in 2014 developed some health issues after buying it so he only occasionally rode it around the block.

It has been an interesting ride so far. Got most of the upgrades done. Doo-hickey, Thermo-bob, JD jetting kit and opened up the air box, removed all the smog junk, Uni air filter, Rox risers and fat bars, I refashioned and installed the stock bar end weights and boy howdy do they greatly reduce the vibration in the bars. I have 4 different height windscreens and they all suck. The turbulence zone these produce hit my helmet at various heights causing very annoying vibration/buffeting. The latest upgrade is a taller windscreen fitted with a "laminal lip." This did the trick. Playing with the adjustment of the wing greatly reduced the turbulence. On warm days I like to open my face shield one click. With all the other screens the wind would close the shield around 50 mph. With the latest tall screen and lip my shield stays open at all speeds. Been up to 85 without a problem.

Back to the air box. My first airbox was melted to S$#@T. The previous owner had installed SW Motech engine guards and must have loosened the muffler clamp and forgot to tighten it. Apparently this caused a major exhaust leak blasting into the air box. Sucker was all distorted and had numerous holes melted in it on both the clean and dirty sides. Fortunately I discovered this with only a couple of hundred miles on it. Factory air boxes are on hard backorder. I was fortunate to find a used one on Ebay for $33. Next upgrades are Cogent rear shock and the fork DDC drop in valving. They have been ordered and should arrive the around end of October. Also probably will do some mods/rebuilding on the stock seat.

I got the KLR to slow down and act my age, I will be 70 in December. My last bike was a KTM 790 Duke and that sucker sure could put down some fast lap times and I was more than happy to oblige it.

So my thoughts at 1k miles are: Very comfortable, surprisingly good handling on the street but surprising bad handling in the dirt. That is fine as my dirt is only about 5% and mostly dirt roads to connect pavement sections. Yes she do vibrate but the doo-hickey did help tame this somewhat. I have found that 72 mph on the clock is the sweet spot vibration wise for highway cruising. Wind protection is really good especially with the taller screen. Although the stock handguards are kinda cheesy, they do provide great wind protection. Bike should be pretty comfy this winter in the cooler temps. Here in California we can ride year around. No winterization required. Power wise it is a bit on the sleepy side so one must carefully plan your overtakes and passing. Riding the KLR reminds me of Nascar restrictor plate racing. You have to keep up your momentum as you don't have the raw power to speed up quickly. I was surprised to recently discover the engine was pinging on 87 octane. Switching to 91 resolved the problem.

Overall I am quite happy with my low mileage OMB...Old Man Bike. I believe it will serve me well as I ride off into the sunset of my long riding career.
View attachment 37098

HJ, please remove the word "sunset" from your dictionary. You don't need it.

· Registered
2022 KLR650
1,220 Posts
HJ, please remove the word "sunset" from your dictionary. You don't need it.
You don’t like “riding into the sunset”? :p

Reactions: Hawkerjet

· Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaking of sunsets, I saw lots of incredible ones from the front office on the jet. We made a lot of late afternoon departures from the east coast, west bound for so-cal. The first part of flying into the sun could be painful, requiring dark glasses and a variety of sun shades to keep your retina's from getting burned.

But once the sun set it was a big relief. Traveling at 80% the speed of sound towards the sunset caused it to last roughly 3 times longer than what you would see on the ground. It was made all the sweeter if it was one of the spectacular sunsets.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts