Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the bike to the dealer today, got quite a shock, they changed the oil and oil filter, cleaned the air box and air filter, fitted a new plug

Materials: R 488.70
Labour: R 1 000.00 (under two hours)

Total: R 1 488.70

All in South African rand - vs Dollar - @ 0.095 = $ 141.43

Am I wrong in feeling robbed???

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Over here that would be a bargain. Dealer labour rates are typically $100/hour +.

That service would probably run $300 -$350 here and they would smile across the counter telling you that.

That said, all things being equal, you are right to feel robbed. That's why so many of us try to do things ourselves. If you can change a light bulb you can service a KLR.

·
Registered
216 Posts
That is about the easiest of the labour to do too. If you want get a spare air filter and then the change out is even faster and you can clean the swap later.

Crash

·
Registered
232 Posts
if they did everything listed in my owners manual for a 12k service, you got a deal but i highly doubt they did any more than you listed.

that being said, an hour and half-ish labour and parts...... i'd say that's not a bad price. as other have pointed out, this is why the vast majority of us do are own service and these are the super easy tasks that will give you the confidence to do more the more difficult ones.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Dualthing,
Most of what it takes is Time!
How many times have you taken Off the body work and put IT back on!
Just to change a spark plug, service the air filter, add water to the battery, add a 'bit' of coolant to the reservoir, check the brake fluid levels, air the tires, check and adjust and Lube the drive chain,, ride IT till warm, Remove the Skid plate, change the oil and the filter, Degrease the side of the engine, Re-install the skid plate?
I'll say 1.5 hrs Minimum!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I agree that it takes time and that 1.5 hours easily reached, but they charged me 2.5 hours

Yesterday I had a friend phoning me about his chain guard destroyed by his rear tire

I said he must come over and I'll help him to remove it

His bike went for 24 000 km service a month ago, and a new Mitas E07, was fitted by you guess who?

The same(s)realer that I used, same problem happened to me also

That's not all, his chain had quite some play and u suggested we adjusted it, gone quite a bit, but after losening the shaft, the little adjustment screw that turns into the swing arm, was rusted solid

This is from my bike, just to indicate where the problem is

The immediate question came to my mind, surely the (s)tealer should have adjusted the chain on the 24 000 km service? And they then would have discovered this. I'm so confident they did not even touched it

It will take another visit to get it out and replace

1 - 7 of 7 Posts