Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
3,568 Posts
Check eBay. There is a guy there that sells dashboards with the plug and switches built in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought one from Walmart that had the cover for $6.00 removed the outlet and mounted in fairing

·
Registered
517 Posts
Harbor Freight has one for $3.99 next to the trailer lights section.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
SeniorScott-

I have two on my bike. One is a conventional cigarette lighter up under the fairing, which is used for cell phone charging. The issue with this type is that the vibration tends to make keeping contact a challenge.

The second is a Powerlet adapter that is mounted near the center of the bike, by the rear shock. I'll post up a picture when I get to a computer. The advantage of the Powerlet connector is that it makes a more positive connection.the disadvantage is that it is a specialty connector and is considerably more expensive. Just the ticket for heated clothing and such, though.

In either case, run a good size wire, fused, off the battery up to wherever you want to mount the thing. 14 ga wire is probably adequate for anything the KLR will power.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts

Handy place to put a power port. If your bike has the California emmissions, then you will have to remove it to have this space empty, as there is a vacuum switch mounted in this location.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
SeniorScott -

I also have a 2008; My cigar lighter socket is under the left side of the fairing. It's actually bolted to the left side radiator cover. I have no pictures of that installation; may try to get some up in the near future.

That socket is pretty useless for anything but charging my cell phone when the bike is parked. I used to use it for my GPS but had to finally set up a hardwired powersupply, as the plug kept vibrating out of the socket. Could be I have a crap-ass socket. It came from either Orchard Supply or Kragen Auto, if I recall correctly.

Tom

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Heh, forgot I have a cheap camera on my phone.

Here's wehre it's located inside the left side of the fairing. What isn't visible in the photo is the rubber cap that goes over it (the one I forget to put on all the time) that keeps most of the water out of it. Actually, it stays pretty dry.

And here you can see the hardware that attacheds it.

Tom

·
Registered
269 Posts
i put a twin one velcroed to the top of the spedo. when i replace it i will use one with a usb port too. it has a long line in case i want to take it off for something (like using the tire inflator on a friend's ride)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All of the research and procrastinating is over. I finished the installation tonight. and I must say am very happy with the outcome. I found a marine 12V outlet at Cabella's. (20.00 but high quality). I installed it in the fairing of my 2008 and looks and works good. I will upload a picture soon. Thanks to all for your input. this is a great forum and happy to be a new member.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I got an Emgo one for about $12 or so. It mounts to the handlebar. Looks ugly but has worked fine for power to the GPS. Have not had any vibration issues. For my Bandit, I got rid of the glass fuse and replaced it with a blade type that I figure would be more reliable.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I'm getting ready to mount one up as well. Where did most of you guys tie into power? I wouldn't think I'd have to go straight to the battery as I just plan to use it for my gps. Thanks

·
Lifetime Member
2,485 Posts
I went straight to the battery on mine and installed an inline fuse... On hindsight I wish I had installed a powerlet adapter at the same time (or instead of the regular one), then I could use it for heated duds!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts