Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am very new to this group and have been looking for the best way to add a
12 volt power plug.

I found a guy on Ebay that sells Marine Grade plugs and Motorcycle mounts.
He even has plugs that lock in by turning them once inserted.

I couldn't figure out how to find an Ebay Store so I just used an item number from his store.

His Ebay store is 12vtechnology.

If you put this number in the Search bar 120972754109 one of his items will show up and then you can click on the link to his store.

NO I am not affiliated with this guy at all, just looking for the best solution.

I am new here so if I am not supposed to post Ebay items I am sorry

·
Registered
901 Posts
This is what I'm looking at ordering / installing to be able to hook up accessory power to my KLR. I've already got one of the bare-wire power cords for my GPS (which I was able to purchase off Ebay last fall), I just need to buy the fuse block and install it so I can add the other electrical farkles.

Linky to Power Hub fuse block

And when I finally get that installed, one of the connectors I'll be hooking up is this type:

The small 12v compressor for refilling tires will connect to that, and I'm sure a bunch of other components will as well.

Edit:

I believe this is the part you're looking at: Linky to Ebay store item

I haven't hooked up anything like that (yet), but when I do, I think I'll try to make it something that looks more "built in" or less "out there" - especially for the wiring on the back of the plug.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I'll try to make it something that looks more "built in" or less "out there"

I actually bought the plug with the screw mounts 120972754109 and will mount this on my Dash/Fairing area, it will sit flat and look like Factory (I Hope).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hate to dash your dreams of a cappuccino machine, heated cup holder, and laptop charging station, but the klr charging system is not known for its abundance of extra amps. Too much crap hooked in will not recharge the battery on the bike which will leave you walking when it wont start. Choose your accessories wisely my friend.

·
Lifetime Member
2,484 Posts
That's a cool adapter! I just went for the marine plug from Walmart with the spring loaded flap door on it. Seems to work good and I've had it in some torrential rains with no troubles. I don't usually have anything plugged in when I'm riding though, mainly use it for my small air compressor.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Beware Stew.....I did the same thing but the inside rotted out when I needed it.....then the next one I coated in dilectric grease.....not bad but still gave me issues......finally went for a high dollar marine unit and still coated it with the slippery stuff....this time it worked well.

I have spent the last hour searching for switched relay blade fuse holders.....finally found them in UK for 4 pounds....one relay position with 3 blade fuse positions....I have two on their way...... Now waiting for the mail lady......tick tick.....Hmmmmmmmm......? Maybe tomorrow?

I can not see spending $115 for the twisted throttle version of the same thing...nice yes but still not gold plated!:13:

·
Registered
901 Posts
Beware Stew.....I did the same thing but the inside rotted out when I needed it.....then the next one I coated in dilectric grease.....not bad but still gave me issues......finally went for a high dollar marine unit and still coated it with the slippery stuff....this time it worked well.

I have spent the last hour searching for switched relay blade fuse holders.....finally found them in UK for 4 pounds....one relay position with 3 blade fuse positions....I have two on their way...... Now waiting for the mail lady......tick tick.....Hmmmmmmmm......? Maybe tomorrow?

I can not see spending $115 for the twisted throttle version of the same thing...nice yes but still not gold plated!:13:
Got a link - and do they ship to the U.S. - or are us folks in the former "colonies" S.O.L.?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hate to dash your dreams of a cappuccino machine, heated cup holder, and laptop charging station, but the klr charging system is not known for its abundance of extra amps. Too much crap hooked in will not recharge the battery on the bike which will leave you walking when it wont start. Choose your accessories wisely my friend.
Just as long as it keeps the A/C for my tent going I will be happy, That's all I need. And this 50" TV, and that's all I need and this Crock Pot, and that's all I need, and this Pressure Washer.........................................

·
Registered
901 Posts
Just as long as it keeps the A/C for my tent going I will be happy, That's all I need. And this 50" TV, and that's all I need and this Crock Pot, and that's all I need, and this Pressure Washer.........................................
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Good ones!

Me? I wasn't figuring much more than my GPS, possibly my GoPro, and my microwave to boil water for my Cup O Noodles on occasion...

:13:

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if mounting an altenator on the front fender isn't a bad idea!......:13:
:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Then I could also power my toaster!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I installed the same one the PO is looking at. Got it from wally. Works good.

I use those plug-ins as well. They're called SAE plugs and you can get them from NAPA.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if mounting an altenator on the front fender isn't a bad idea!......:13:
I'm not sure a KLR can go fast enough to spin the propeller!:50:
Regards....justjeff

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
My brother has this Honda generator, gas powered, that would look mighty nice mounted to my luggage rack! Then I could plug in my blow dryer to keep my doo lookin good after long rides!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts