Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
It's messy but put some dilectric grease in that thing or it will rust out......ask me how I know....I also use a small bungie cord tied to the power cord to hold it into the plug or it will vibrate out enough that the GPS will constantly loose power. It's anoying

·
Registered
419 Posts
I installed two 12 volt sockets right next to one another on the right-side fairing. One is a BMW style Powerlet plug and the other is a standard cigarette lighter style plug.

The Powerlet plug is definitely tighter and made to last. Both work well.

Photos show he 2 different plugs, as well as the installed sockets (opened/closed).

·
Registered
35 Posts
FWIW... TwistedThrottle makes a nice handle bar bracket for a 12 volt socket that makes for a super clean installation.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Here's my mounting bracket that I made from aluminum stock I had kicking around.

NOTE: The bracket held to the handlebar with cable clamps.

A different angle

I tapped into the ignition switched wire just under the fuse shown in this pix.
I choose the Fan Fuse wire. The socket only powers my GPS which takes a small amount of amperage.

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
How are you guys powering these outlets? Are you using an Aux Fuse box or going direct off the battery?
It depends on what you're going to run with it. In Larry's case he's running a GPS, and the GPS' plug is fused.

I run a PowerLet socket and use it for my compressor. It's powered through the aux fuse panel with large gauge wire and an appropriately sized fuse.

My preference is to put everything on it's own circuit and use a fuse.

But I also wear a belt and suspenders...

T

·
Registered
20 Posts
power wire back to battery. inline atc fuse holder like the one below.

regardless of what you run off the outlet. the outlet should be fused. you could just as likely pinch and ground the wire causing a short. w/o a fuse, you wind up with a potential BBQ-KLR

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Some great ideas! larry31, That plate set up is sexy. What is that pointy eraser looking thing on the left?
That's my GPS stylus. Just an ordinary lead pencil with a "add-on" eraser sharpened to a blunt point. Eraser held on with shrink tubing. Won't mark the touch screen, and picks screen points more accurately.
I used an old rubber tube held to handlebar with a cable clamp. Pencil slides in slick and doesn’t bounce out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts