Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The pervious owner said theres this white plug that attaches to a 12v outlet in one of the bags, is this white plug a oem plug for accessories or is it a add on to the wiring harness. it back by the tail light plus and was sticking out under the seat cushion when i bought it, doesnt look large wired enough to handle much other then a gps or cell phone charger.

Im going to add larger 12 v fused to battery for heated grips and jacket later on, i may cut this plug and hard wire it to a added usb/volt gauge ive been adding to other vehicle instead of the stick out the seat bs.

the ones i been adding look like this

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
That is the OEM connector for the license plate light.

·
Administrator
8,495 Posts
There is no "Accessory" wiring on the Gen 2 KLR. You will need to build an accessory circuit if you want to have one. The best place to take off from is the positive connector on the starter relay. You'll want to provide a fused circuit.

You can also add an end terminal to the horn circuit, which will handle a fair bit of current. It is fused at 15A, though, so there's not a lot of protection for small devices. It's easy and convenient, though.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Do you want continuous, or key switch on only power?

The large cable from the battery terminal to the starter relay is continuously "hot," and capable of carrying maximum current from the OEM wiring. Also (generally speaking), the smaller-gauge WHITE wires in the loom provide continuous + 12 VDC power. Switched power? Look for a BROWN wire.

You may want to consider relays for power-hungry accessories, like heated grips and gear.

Good wiring diagrams (for Generations 1 and 2 (the latter, 2008 on) exist on the 'Net. The garden-variety automobile cigarette lighter plugs and sockets possess a tendency to separate from vibration and the rude shocks of rough surfaces; SAE and Powerlet sockets and plugs, not so much (adapters required to accommodate automobile cigarette lighter plugs with these).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah! the license plate light that isnt there.. that explains it

ya i was deffinatly going to do relay that activates the circuit with ignition, probably have it triggered off this plate light wire. also going to have it fused at the battery to prevent burning this mofo down.

i dont know how many amps the heated jackets and grip warmers have, i may just go with a milwakuu heated jacket or vest to put in mine that run off the m12 battery pack.

·
Registered
948 Posts
....... i may just go with a milwakuu heated jacket or vest to put in mine that run off the m12 battery pack.
Why would you do that when you're sitting on something that produces electricity? I'd buy a rechargeable jacket if I was on a horse but I'd plug in on a KLR.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
ah! the license plate light that isnt there.. that explains it

ya i was deffinatly going to do relay that activates the circuit with ignition, probably have it triggered off this plate light wire. also going to have it fused at the battery to prevent burning this mofo down.

i dont know how many amps the heated jackets and grip warmers have, i may just go with a milwakuu heated jacket or vest to put in mine that run off the m12 battery pack.
I run a Gerbing jacket under a windbreaker, and Gerbing gloves. My 2011 Gen 2 handles those 2 electric items ok.
I also run my GPS at same time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts