Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Asuncion, Paraguay and have hard time finding 130/80/17. All I was able to find is Pirelli MT60 140. No 120 in any brand. I know it can run on 140 but was wondering what are pros and cons of this size tire? I do good amount off roading on this trip and have about 80lbs gear on me plus me 180lbs.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You should be okay as long as you check for rubbing. The 140/80-17 will be wider and taller.

·
Administrator
8,275 Posts
Renimus-

Are you still on the 2009?

I had the 130 MT-21 on mine for a while. It fit fine and was a good tire.

Tom

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm still on 2009. Pirelli MT60 is solid tire. I had those since Costa Rica and changed only two all the way from San Jose, Costa Rica to Usuhaia and up to Asuncion, Paraguay. I might wait little longer to get into Brazil and get 130. It might be chapter too. These guys are asking $120 here.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I put Kenda K270 5.10" x17 50/50 knobbies on both my 2008 and my 2011. They measure almost exactly 5.10" wide from out side knob to out side knob fully inflated on the wheel. That is about 0.4 inches narrower than Klr4evr shows for the 140mm tire which is about what I would expect.

I had to fabricate extra little "L" brackets to go on the outside of the factory brackets on the top and bottom of the swingarm to hold chain guard/cover out a little farther to keep the 5.10" from rubbing the guard. So, if the tire measures exactly as its size numbers indicate, the clearance could be very tight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've been running a Heidenau K60 140/80/17 for a while now, nearly as much clearance on the swing arm as the mitas 130/80/17.
No problem,

iddy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone run a Mitas e07 140/80/17? Starting to think it will be impossible to get the 130 size ever in Canada, been waiting since start of February.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've been running a Heidenau K60 140/80/17 for a while now, nearly as much clearance on the swing arm as the mitas 130/80/17.

No problem,

iddy

Interested to read this.

I have bought a Heidenau 140/80 to go on my KLR for my forthcoming Africa trip. My brother has just sent me the attached photo which looks pretty tight given the need to find an extra 5mm either side
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462372028.358271.jpg

The current tyre is the OE 130/80 Dunlop.

What do you think? My options are:
- fit it and hope there's still 1mm or so of clearance (not sure how that would work when running it with lower pressures as i will need to do)
- fit it and mod the chain guard as per comments in this thread (or open to other suggestions - would tyre still be tight on the chain itself?)
- take the hit and order a 130/80 (the Heidenau is harder to get in 130/80 now i believe, at least in RSA so this may be a challenge)

I'd like to stick with the Heidenau if possible as they have a reputation for big mileages. I need this if i am not to find myself looking for a new dual sport tyre in an african country where everyone rides 125cc Chinese bikes - not appealing!

Cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the low pressure bulge. It always seems to be down at ground level only.

The swingarm is not the tightest fit and the first place to rub. The tightest fits are the chain guard and the muffler. Especially if you drop it on the muffler side a few times and bend it in some.

You can move the chain guard out by modifying the two "L" brackets on the swingarm as I mentioned above. Or since the chain guard is not really doing much for you, you could remove it if necessary.

You can heat and bend the muffler mount tab back out. I have added several thick washers between the muffler and the mounting tabs for extra clearance.

On a knobby with knobs that extend out past the side of the tire and rub I have cut the outside edge of the side knobs off and gained 5mm extra clearance on each side. That is the same as a 10mm narrower tire.

I think you can make the 140 tire work.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Any scrubbing can be relieved as GoMotor suggests.

Regardless, tire sidewall scuffing isn't terribly serious; interference will hone away rubber after awhile without serious consequences, IMHO . . .

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Any scrubbing can be relieved as GoMotor suggests.

Regardless, tire sidewall scuffing isn't terribly serious; interference will hone away rubber after awhile without serious consequences, IMHO . . .
Agreed. However, the chain guard is a bit of a special case. When roiling in the forward direction if the tire touches the rounded top side of the guard it can push it aside a little. When rolling rearward a knobby can catch on the straight bottom edge and pull it loose.

It is best to make sure the chain guard is not rubbed by the tire or remove the guard.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks, i'll get it fitted see what needs moving to create the space - sounds like the chain guard and perhaps the muffler mount too.

Once fitted i'll post up a couple of shots of the clearance.

On the plus side, the extra circumference will gear it up a little for the highway......

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Temporaryescapee, a question:

Looks like some adventurous motorcycling is in your future, regardless, but . . . exists a significant other purpose (e.g., work, study, etc.) in your trip to Ethiopia?

Only a question; just wondering.

Best wishes and Godspeed in your travels!

·
Registered
59 Posts
You can fix the chain guard by taking it off the bike and inserting into the garbage can. I can't think of any reason as to why you would want to keep it on the bike. Taking it off makes chain cleaning easier too.
Unless your a safety nazi. But then, I can't imagine a safety nazi riding a motorcycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Very perceptive Damocles!

My wife and i made the decision a few years back to spend what we don't need on something worthwhile. I am planning to check in on a couple of our 'investments' on route......

Dorze Bele 2015
Regrets for going off-topic; I hope you have tons of success with your wholesome water project!

Anecdote: Worked with a Peace Corps veteran who was posted to Afghanistan; project: Build water pump in center of village, eliminating need for women to walk a mile for drinking/cooking/cleaning water.

He said, they actually built the pump system, overcoming considerable logistical obstacles; water flowed ultimately in the middle of town.

Then . . . first day after the pump was completed and operational . . . all the village women again went down the mountain with jars on their heads to fill and return . . . the nearby water pump was neglected . . .

He asked residents, WHY don't the women pump water in the village? Why do they still walk a mile and back for water, as they've always done in the past?

The answer: "Oh, they like to go down to the waterside and GOSSIP! That's where they get all their news!"

·
Registered
61 Posts
Best laid plans hey!

This project is now up and running. I don't know the charity well (i hope to know it better after my visit) but a condition of the project is that the locals ask for it, contribute financially in some way, do most of the work and can maintain it themselves after the 'experts' leave. This means keeping it simple. It may be the KLR of development projects!

It was this ethos that really appealed to me. No bloke gets thin because his wife wants him to lose weight, he gets thin when he personally wants it enough to do things differently.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts