Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m sure this has been covered here, but I’m wondering if any of you have put a 140 R17 tire on the 2022 KLR650?

I’m having trouble finding a 130 R17 tire I like, but the one I want comes in 140 R17.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no real need for a radial tyre.130/80-17 without "R" lasts almost as long.
I completely agree. But the “R” refers to the radius, being that the KLR has a 17” rear wheel.

What I’d like to know is if anyone has put a 140 width tire on the 2022 KLR650, which comes stock with a 130 rear tire. And if so, did they experience any issues?

·
Administrator
4,372 Posts
Which tire are you looking at? In previous gen’s the 140 width did fit with little clearance left. You may be breaking new ground here in regard to the 2022 with it’s new swing arm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Which tire are you looking at? In previous gen’s the 140 width did fit with little clearance left. You may be breaking new ground here in regard to the 2022 with it’s new swing arm.
Thanks for addressing the question. I was looking at the Dunlop Trailmax Mission tire. I have a set on another bike and really like them. It’s available in 140/80 B17. 130 seems to be hard to find.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Product

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
The KLR650 uses an under-narrow 2.5 inch rear rim for the existing 130 wide tire. It really should have been built with a 3.0 inch rim (as far back as 1987). The narrow rim prevents even the 130 wide tires from laying down a full Foot-Print.

When one installs a 140 wide tire which is intended to be mounted on a 3.5-4.0 inch rim it will actually have even LESS foot-print on the ground than your existing 130 tire. Unless you run less air pressure than is good for the Carcass cording of the tire.

Dunlop does make a 130/80-17 Trailmax Mission tire to fit the KLR650.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The KLR650 uses an under-narrow 2.5 inch rear rim for the existing 130 wide tire. It really should have been built with a 3.0 inch rim (as far back as 1987). The narrow rim prevents even the 130 wide tires from laying down a full Foot-Print.

When one installs a 140 wide tire which is intended to be mounted on a 3.5-4.0 inch rim it will actually have even LESS foot-print on the ground than your existing 130 tire. Unless you run less air pressure than is good for the Carcass cording of the tire.

Dunlop does make a 130/80-17 Trailmax Mission tire to fit the KLR650.
Thanks for the explanation. It is much appreciated. And yes, Dunlop does make that tire in a 130, which I would prefer. I’ve just found it out of stock just about everywhere. So I was curious if a 140 would work if I had to get it. Have a trip coming up and want to switch the tires before I go.

Thanks again. This is helpful.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
The 140 wide dual-sport Trailmax Mission would probably clear the plastic chain guard, on the 2022 KLR650, but one could also remove the chain guard completely off the bike if you don't mind a little extra chain lube splatter under the fender, frame & backside of your saddlebags. Other people do on Gen 1 & 2's.

·
Registered
'08 KLR
156 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. It is much appreciated. And yes, Dunlop does make that tire in a 130, which I would prefer. I’ve just found it out of stock just about everywhere. So I was curious if a 140 would work if I had to get it. Have a trip coming up and want to switch the tires before I go.

Thanks again. This is helpful.
I though i replied earlier, but i boloed and never hit send. Dennis Kirk has 1 on hand right now, $169.85 plus shipping. (Or, they did when I looked.) Still do!

I'd jump on that, like right now - it's as good a price as you'll find on that tire.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
872 Posts
I'm running a 130/90 knobby with zero complaints. It likes mud to. It also throws gravel 100 feet behind me. Confirmed by the guys riding behind me today...
Oh and I destroyed my 3dcycleparts windshield risers when my shock bottomed out. They broke in 50 pieces. Windshield survived, i found it in the woods about 30 feet in there. Took 15 minutes trailside to reattach using oem brackets. 50 bucks down the drain, ride break fix.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Oh and I destroyed my 3dcycleparts windshield risers when my shock bottomed out. They broke in 50 pieces. Windshield survived, i found it in the woods about 30 feet in there. Took 15 minutes trailside to reattach using oem brackets. 50 bucks down the drain, ride break fix.
I had been wondering if printed risers would be 'tough enough' in the long run, especially off-highway.
May I suggest that you might investigate these aluminum risers,

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
872 Posts
I spoke with TU, he assured me his new version is stronger and is standing behind his product and will warranty. Top notch guy so I'm not complaining. I'm blaming the shock more than anything. Cogent shock was ordered 3 weeks ago, just patiently waiting. I was pushing it for several miles of 2 track so the shock was beyond faded at that point. Forks work great though...

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
640 Posts
I spoke with TU, he assured me his new version is stronger and is standing behind his product and will warranty. Top notch guy so I'm not complaining. I'm blaming the shock more than anything. Cogent shock was ordered 3 weeks ago, just patiently waiting. I was pushing it for several miles of 2 track so the shock was beyond faded at that point. Forks work great though...
Out of curiosity, are you bottoming out the rear shock at the max preload setting?
I went for a long haul yesterday on preload setting 3. Noticed that the panniers weighed the bike down a bit, and had to crank it to 4. So mines just about maxed out.

·
Registered
2022 Pearl Lava Orange
872 Posts
I'm at 4. I only bottomed twice in 2 days. Both were because I was being a little hooligan ish. Cogent shock was ordered last month so a couple more weeks? The stock shock fades real fast when you start pushing it off pavement. At least from experience. Square edges, round wheels and all...
Hey the forks with ddc's are good enough so there's that.

·
Registered
2022 KLR650 - Fully loaded
640 Posts
Agreed. The front forks on the 22 are very good. Rear shock is still soft (same as gen 1 & 2) and I’ve also experienced fading when running it hard off-road. Bottomed mine out a few times yesterday as well.
Let us know how the upgrade is when you get it!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts