Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 14t up front work for, say, riding from St. Louis to Utah @ 70mph and back?

What say you? :wink:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,429 Posts
I'm always looking for sixth gear with the stock gearing, I can only imagine riding any distance with a 14 tooth sprocket.

I think I would carry the 14 tooth sprocket with me and change it when I got there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Daddyjoe said:
I'm always looking for sixth gear with the stock gearing, I can only imagine riding any distance with a 14 tooth sprocket.

I think I would carry the 14 tooth sprocket with me and change it when I got there.[/quote]

+1 When I got my 01 it had a 16T on it, Which was good for the road; Sucked off road. Steep down hills especially. I went back w/ a 15T and I feel I've lost a little top end on the road (1-5mph,maybe) but found more torque all around, which makes me smile. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
I have a 14T front and I use it for commuting, trips, and dirt work. The farthest I have ridden with it is 1200 miles round trip, and I had no complaints save for a bit of excess gasoline useage at higher speeds. At 55 mph you are turning 4000 RPM, and 80 was the fastest I really felt comfortable going. I would have no complaints using a 14T on a trip like what you describe; in fact this coming summer I am taking a trip to Moab and I plan on using a 14T sprocket the whole trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
MeefZah said:
I have a 14T front and I use it for commuting, trips, and dirt work. The farthest I have ridden with it is 1200 miles round trip, and I had no complaints save for a bit of excess gasoline useage at higher speeds. At 55 mph you are turning 4000 RPM, and 80 was the fastest I really felt comfortable going. I would have no complaints using a 14T on a trip like what you describe; in fact this coming summer I am taking a trip to Moab and I plan on using a 14T sprocket the whole trip.
+1

but another gear or a wider tranny would be nice. :lol:

Daniel
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
I like the 14t, i just did about 1500 miles with mine, a couple hundred of that on dirt, and as long as you realize you'll cruise at 70, take your time and enjoy the scenery. It' worth it when it comes to riding high altitude, makes the difference for me being able to loft the front effectively at 9000' and up, and i like the lower gearing in the twisties, it's easier to keep the revs up in steep switchbacks and other tight spots.

I'm considering a 13t, as i ride a lot of high altitude dirt, and up to 45mph in town. I'd probably be looking for 7th though on the highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
So.....for the intellectually challenged...a 14 t sprocket, front right? Gives a lower gear and for commuting, around town, dirt etc it's ok? Stock is what? 15t? Searching for 6th is PITA, will I do it more? I still haven't got used to the lack of low gear off road, I stall alot, really sucks. Am I tracking on this?
Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
284 Posts
HighDezert said:
I like the 14t, i just did about 1500 miles with mine, a couple hundred of that on dirt, and as long as you realize you'll cruise at 70, take your time and enjoy the scenery. It' worth it when it comes to riding high altitude, makes the difference for me being able to loft the front effectively at 9000' and up, and i like the lower gearing in the twisties, it's easier to keep the revs up in steep switchbacks and other tight spots.

I'm considering a 13t, as i ride a lot of high altitude dirt, and up to 45mph in town. I'd probably be looking for 7th though on the highway.
HighDezert, to cruise at 70 with any sprocket would require and indicated 75 approx with speedo error, correct? What rpms are you turning at 75 indicated with a 14t?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
That's 70 true, i don't have instruments, just the GPS and a bike speedo that stops reading around 65. My gps has me at 70-75 cruising straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
oldarmy said:
So.....for the intellectually challenged...a 14 t sprocket, front right? Gives a lower gear and for commuting, around town, dirt etc it's ok? Stock is what? 15t? Searching for 6th is PITA, will I do it more? I still haven't got used to the lack of low gear off road, I stall alot, really sucks. Am I tracking on this?
Thanks.
Tracking straight and true! :)

Jamie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmm...very interesting answers so far. Maybe I'll slap the 14t on at the rockies and not take it off until the front range coming back. Nice even trade-off, I think.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
I really like the 14t since I've put it on...better bottom end and since I don't cruise above 70mph it hasn't affected me at all!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
14t front will help you from stalling- but like everything theres no free lunch, your highway cruise RPM will go up, but still be able to run 70 comfortably enough. If you keep track of your gear & realize what it is you are riding you'll stop wanting to go for 6th or 7th gears. Who really wants to go 90-100 on a KLR anyway?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,735 Posts
This is a fairly old thread, but I'm game for any revival.

I go 90-100 mph quite often on the desolate roads of Wyoming with the original gearing of 15-43. been doing it since 1987. I've also ridden quite a bit at 9-10 mph on the rugged 4x4 routes with the same 15-43 gearing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
This is a fairly old thread, but I'm game for any revival.

I go 90-100 mph quite often on the desolate roads of Wyoming with the original gearing of 15-43. been doing it since 1987. I've also ridden quite a bit at 9-10 mph on the rugged 4x4 routes with the same 15-43 gearing.
You guys got a speed limit out there? I did 90 a couple of times on my KLR. It felt very very fast with the KLR under me. My Goldwing was walking at 100 and you could play with the radio while doing it. It just felt to fast on the KLR.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,735 Posts
You guys got a speed limit out there?
97,000 sq mi / <600,000 residents / long ways between LEO's, usually. They are harder to spot with low profile light bars and their electronics do have a longer reach than they used to have.

Maybe take the fairing off of your current Versys, it'll feel faster also. lol :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
250 Posts
Speedo on my 2006 at 80mph with 15-43 gearing displays less than 70mph on my GPS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
I’d trust the GPS. But yu should use a watch or clock or something to time yourself over a 5-mile stretch of interstate whilst holding 70 MPH on your Speedo. Then calculate your actual speed. My Gen2 is pretty close at 70.

My RPM at 70 MPH indicated is just below 5000 with 15/43 sprockets. Yours should be the same.

My odometer is within 1% of actual.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top