Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the last 15 months in Baghdad, Iraq while my 2007 KLR 650 spent 15 months in a storage shed in Ft.Huachuca AZ. This band has dry rotted over the 15 months does anyone know the name or part number for this part or where I can order more?
Also the little rubber boot on the clutch cable down by the engine has dry rotted as well, where do I get another one of those too?

Also what other components should I check that are prone to dry rotting?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
What's the band hold down?
As far as looking up parts, I find Bike Bandit's parts diagrams a great place to hunt down what I'm looking for.

As far as the rubber boot on the clutch cable, I have a hunch that the only way it's available is if you purchase another clutch cable..

·
Registered
517 Posts
I go to WWW.eastbaymotorsports.com and get everything from them. You should spray all rubber with silicone spray and let it soak in. Rubber loves silicone.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I would also be rebuilding your carb...I bet it's dry too and your jets will be plugged or well on their way to being. Better now than on the road. Second the silicon spraying....have at her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would also be rebuilding your carb...I bet it's dry too and your jets will be plugged or well on their way to being. Better now than on the road. Second the silicon spraying....have at her.
The bike was bought brand new with 0 miles and only has 1400miles on it all of which I put on. I completely drained the carb before deployment and followed all the instructions for long term storage.

I fueled it up and it fired up on the first try yesterday.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I can't help you out much, but my 08 has rotten rubber on the clutch cable too. I'm just going to try and ignore it. I do mostly street riding.

And I wanted to say thanks. My sister is headed to Afhganistan soon. As someone who hasn't ever been to Iraq and hopes never to have a reason, I just wanted you to know I appreciate your service for all of us at home.

Glad you're back and ready to ride!

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
The only way to get that rubber boot is on the end of another clutch cable. I need one too. Kinda stupid that you can't get it separately.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
What about the rubber strap on the black cylinder that all the vacuum lines go into? Do you kno where to get that?
Welcome home and thank you for your service to our country.

Yes this is a mounting strap for the emissions on all 50 States KLRs. Search "deCalifornicate" and save a couple of bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts