Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. She's a "restored" 1997 KLR650 with the 685 Schnitz kit, a Dakar Fairing, plus black powder-coating and Gold accents to give her that John Player Special look. Picked her up two days ago from a great guy in Long Beach. Can't wait to wring her out a bit.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
That's a sweet looking bike! Hope to see more pics in more natural surroundings!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bike looks like it's ready to get some dirt! Nothing worse than a pic of a KLR in the back of a truck though! I know, it just needed a ride home. Have fun, where in so-cal are you?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dakar fairing

Thanks guys. I didn't plan on buying a trailer queen, but the PO (previous owner) really did a great job with her. Nearly a shame to get her dirty. Here's a shot of the Dakar-style fairing he fiber-glassed himself!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whoops. SDWheels, I'm in Rancho Santa Margarita. Plan to ride to work through Trabucco Canyon daily. D911

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
man thats a weird looking front end. anyway you bought it to ride it. not wash it. get it off the pavement now and then, it will thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts
Great looking fairing, I like that. How does it do at highway speeds as far as buffeting? What lights are those?

Aw hell, I see my next mod coming up.

·
Registered
482 Posts
where di dhe get that fairing...i want one...is that the Canadian Fairing place

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buffeting and lights

..How does it do at highway speeds as far as buffeting? What lights are those?
I took her to 70mph for a quick trip through the gears, but didn't really evaluate for buffet. I don't really care either cuz I love the Dakar look. I'm getting a helmet today, so then I can start to ride her. Will let you know.

The lights are purely automotive on a home-made bracket. I'm a bit concerned the bugs haven't been worked out on the dash. The backside is bare glass, and the wires are all exposed. I'll post a pic later, as I need some ideas of how to protect better from the elements. I've seen / heard about people using the light assembly from a Buehl (sp?) with some success.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
fairing source?

where di dhe get that fairing...i want one...is that the Canadian Fairing place
The PO actually hand-built the fairing himself. To buy a Dakar-style fairing would have been north of $600...so he built himself. Neat guy!

I would think about letting someone make a mold from this fairing...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fairing Issues

I need some ideas to clean-up. Definitely sand, prime, paint, but should I be concerned about the exposed wires when I leave bike out in infrequent rain. Thoughts?? thx, D911

Top View

Right Side with "loose" switch

Left side

·
Premium Member
5,515 Posts
Nice-looking ride! Have you tried out the headlights at night yet? Are they adjustable? Looks like the guy did a good job on the construction of the fairing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BTW - I was gonna buy a Shoei Neotec today for like $600, but ended up with a Scorpion 500 model for only $200. DOT and ECE approved. Includes a cool air bladder system, and an internal sunvisor. Ready to ride!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I took her to 70mph for a quick trip through the gears, but didn't really evaluate for buffet. I don't really care either cuz I love the Dakar look. I'm getting a helmet today, so then I can start to ride her. Will let you know.
Ok. Rode with the fairing a bit more. The upright fairing punches a nice hole thru the air, with minimal buffeting on my helmet. But she does develop a wobble at 75mph. I will try to ride thru it on the gas, but waiting on my aerostitch roadcrafter to arrive first for obvious reasons. :63a:

The headlight setup is clunking around a bit on big bumps...I'm sure I can work out the bugs....

·
Registered
97 Posts
that is a nice set up you have.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts