Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever run a 15/70-17 rear tire? I have a 2014.5 Gen2 and thought about trying it. I have the tire left over from another bike I owned. Also have the 90/90-21 for the front.

Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
The KLR650 rear rim is only a 2.50 inch width. Which is actually .5 inch Narrower than ideal for the 130mm or 5.10 inch stock size tires. Therefore even the stock size 130mm is slightly rounder from side to side than necessary.

When one installs a 140 (intended for 3.50 rim) or even worse a 150 ( intended for minimum of 4.00 rim) for one will actually concentrate even more wear in the centerline of the tire when fitted on the stock 2.50 inch rim. You will effectively have Less Footprint on the ground.

But it is a "free" tire, take off the plastic chain guard & I think it will clear the chain and the swingarm when used on the stock 2.50 rim.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would be more worried about it rubbing on the muffler. My muffler has a rub spot on it from my stock 130.

I also have a 90/90 from my old DS that I plan on putting on my 2012. It should fit without any problems, just a little more narrow.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. Based on your input, I'll sell my TKC set and get stock size replacements for the KLR. Been looking at Mitas 07 Dakar and Shinko's (700, 705, 804/5).

Thanks again,
Sammy

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The KLR650 rear rim is only a 2.50 inch width. Which is actually .5 inch Narrower than ideal for the 130mm or 5.10 inch stock size tires. Therefore even the stock size 130mm is slightly rounder from side to side than necessary.

When one installs a 140 (intended for 3.50 rim) or even worse a 150 ( intended for minimum of 4.00 rim) for one will actually concentrate even more wear in the centerline of the tire when fitted on the stock 2.50 inch rim. You will effectively have Less Footprint on the ground.

But it is a "free" tire, take off the plastic chain guard & I think it will clear the chain and the swingarm when used on the stock 2.50 rim.
Mr. Westman. Any Idea why Kawasaki mismatched the rim and the tire on the KLR rear?

·
Registered
120 Posts

Mr. Westman. Any Idea why Kawasaki mismatched the rim and the tire on the KLR rear?
Like all things on a KLR, The accountants made the final decision.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
Like all things on a KLR, The accountants made the final decision.
That is probably the correct answer, EricZ.

GoMotor, are you still in Lost Wages, NV?

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
I have a hankering to build a set of wheels with the right size rims. As an example, the Excel Takasago EI-418 is a 17 X 3.50 and the EI-431 is a 21x2.15.

The price will make you drop to your knees, which will then get wet from the puddle of piddle you're kneeling in.

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
[rant]
And something that just frosts my ass is when some dumbass flat-billed-cap-wearing man-bun millenial vaper of a webmaster who has never bought a damn thing for a motorcycle sets up a shopping web page where you shop for a rim by entering the year, model, and make of a motorcycle.

No, you crane-legged mole-lickin' twit of a jack-pine savage idiot, you shop for a rim by size. Mental midget.

You can't sell apples from an empty cart.

Go get a bigger lobe ring fitted on your lunch break if you can drag your Cheezit covered carcass out of the easy chair and up the stairs out of momma's basement.

[/rant]

Reactions: DPelletier

·
Administrator
8,372 Posts
Don't get me started on trying to find a crush washer at O'Reilly Auto Parts...

Reactions: DPelletier
1 - 11 of 11 Posts