Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone installed 17" wheels and tires? If so what wheels did you use?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good question Iv seen a Pic of one on here... "RAT" some thing not sure ... Looked cool... Like to know how it would handle.. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
Call me a dumb a__ but why would ya do that? I'm serious, if there would be an advantage to having 17" wheels front and rear please expand on the benefits.

Ard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call me a dumb a__ but why would ya do that? I'm serious, if there would be an advantage to having 17" wheels front and rear please expand on the benefits.

Ard
Get that SuperMotard look like the KLX250SF, street sportbike radial tires. I use my KLR on the street for commuting. Have never had it off road and have no real plans to do so.

Not sure what will need to set the handling. Probably need to lower the rear end to match the smaller front wheel.

A friend did this to his DR400 and it looks GREAT! I saw one (KLR) at Deal Gap in 2005.

Looking to see if a set of wheels from a 250\500 NINJA may fit.

·
Registered
357 Posts

Ard
Here's the reason I laced up a 17" front wheel. If/when I take an extended trip on my KLR, instead of carrying two different sized spare tires, I could carry one spare tire (4.50"x17") and use it for either the front or rear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah Tom that does look good what did you notice different in the handling ?
Do you mostly ride pavement? How did you regear the spedo ? The larger front tire is for off road/ rough terrain handling a larger tire will roll over a bump easier than a small tire right ?. I'll bet the front braking improved huh. nice bike BTW.
Sorry for so many question's I like it I am curious haha. thank's

·
Registered
357 Posts
Yeah Tom that does look good what did you notice different in the handling ?
Do you mostly ride pavement? How did you regear the spedo ? The larger front tire is for off road/ rough terrain handling a larger tire will roll over a bump easier than a small tire right ?. I'll bet the front braking improved huh. nice bike BTW.
Sorry for so many question's I like it I am curious haha. thank's
1...I ride 99.9% pavement. I'm to old to fall down and break bones:)
2...On both my bikes I rely on a GPS to keep me legal.
3...This has been hashed over to death on "other" forums.
4...Stock brakes up front either way. Never noticed a difference.

Corner "turn-in" is much quicker....AKA....twisties are "funner":)

·
Registered
147 Posts
1...I ride 99.9% pavement. I'm to old to fall down and break bones:)
2...On both my bikes I rely on a GPS to keep me legal.
3...This has been hashed over to death on "other" forums.
4...Stock brakes up front either way. Never noticed a difference.

Corner "turn-in" is much quicker....AKA....twisties are "funner":)
HAHA Gotchya Thank's Tom I like the look, nice ride.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's the reason I laced up a 17" front wheel. If/when I take an extended trip on my KLR, instead of carrying two different sized spare tires, I could carry one spare tire (4.50"x17") and use it for either the front or rear.
We had 2008 KLR did Mexico in 08, faring just about worthless, tire lost high speed grip in twisty after 2500 miles. We have 500 mile 2009 KLR planning on putting 17" front, carry one spare on tour, larger contact patch for better steering, rear lowering links (-2") rear) to regain stock rake and trail. Stock faring, large windshild flexes faring badly; Will drop stock faring and plastic in favor of Trail Tech Eclipse X2 dial HID headlight and Vapor digital computer.:character00268:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Tom,

What brand, size did you use, 130/80-17 direction we're going?

We are going with same 17x2.5 rim as on back, turn-in the corners can be quick since you dropped the front end 2", reduced rake & trail, we will use lowering links to drop rear 2" to match, returning to original rake/trail for high speed cornering & loaded touring stability.

We are also getting rid of the 09 faring and installing Trail Tech HID Eclipse X2 head light and vapor computer with digital speedo, tach, temp,turn,temp, clock, etc.

Marty

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hi Tom,

What brand, size did you use, 130/80-17 direction we're going?

We are going with same 17x2.5 rim as on back, turn-in the corners can be quick since you dropped the front end 2", reduced rake & trail, we will use lowering links to drop rear 2" to match, returning to original rake/trail for high speed cornering & loaded touring stability.

We are also getting rid of the 09 faring and installing Trail Tech HID Eclipse X2 head light and vapor computer with digital speedo, tach, temp,turn,temp, clock, etc.

Marty
The tire is a 120/90/17 Kenda K761 mounted backwards. A 21" front tire has an approximate diameter of 27 inches while the Kenda on a 17" rim has an approximate diameter of 26 inches (taller sidewall). You might want to build and install the front wheel first then decide how much to lower the rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A 21" front tire has an approximate diameter of 27 inches while the Kenda on a 17" rim has an approximate diameter of 26 inches (taller sidewall).

So with the combination of a 17" wheel and the Kenda tires you actually only loose 1" outside diameter on the tire. Interesting.

I know you said you don't ride offroad but how about gravel? I'm thinking about this mod but have to have some gravel capabilities. My Yamaha R1 sportbike is downright scary on gravel even at low speed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
So with the combination of a 17" wheel and the Kenda tires you actually only loose 1" outside diameter on the tire. Interesting.

I know you said you don't ride offroad but how about gravel? I'm thinking about this mod but have to have some gravel capabilities. My Yamaha R1 sportbike is downright scary on gravel even at low speed.
Really can't help ya here bud. Bout the only gravel I do is the 70 or 80 feet up/down my hardpack gravel driveway. My KLR and my Vstrom were purchased simply due to the fact that I needed something cheaper "gas mileage" wise for my commute back and forth to work. I didn't buy either one for offroad use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I was reading in another thread and a few people were trashing the idea of a 17" wheel on the KLR front. Saying it changed the rake and trail enough to make the bike dangerous. But your setup only changes the outside diameter of wheel/tire by 1". Have you noticed any handling issues?

Beware Emjayw and anyone else on 17" front wheels on dirt bikes:
Yes, the turn in is quicker, (because you have made the rake angle steeper with the smaller front wheel, and that is a benefit)you will tuck the front wheel at a slower speed and at less lean angle than with the 21" front (because of the loss of trail). fat rubber and all.
http://www.klrforum.com/showthread.php?p=45310#post45310

I really don't understand the concepts of rake and trail but that guy sounds like he knows what he's talking about. I just don't see how a setup like yours with only 1" difference could cause this.

I hope you don't mind but I quoted you over there. He hasn't responded yet.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Beth... you can find a negative on any subject. Do yourself and favor and read everything you can before you make your decision.

If you re-read the previous posts you will see that a 17" x 4.50" rim and tire can be almost as tall as a 21" rim and tire. Plus the you get a wider tire that will float sand, gravel, etc. The 17" is also heavier and could be more difficult to steer.

All opinions are good but remember they are opinions and not facts.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Beth... you can find a negative on any subject. Do yourself and favor and read everything you can before you make your decision.

If you re-read the previous posts you will see that a 17" x 4.50" rim and tire can be almost as tall as a 21" rim and tire. Plus the you get a wider tire that will float sand, gravel, etc. The 17" is also heavier and could be more difficult to steer.

All opinions are good but remember they are opinions and not facts.
Well said Tim. As you and I both know this subject has been debated (heated at times) on numerous occasions on "another" forum. I made the 17" choice for my own reason and other folks decided on whatever size front wheel for their own reason.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well said Tim. As you and I both know this subject has been debated (heated at times) on numerous occasions on "another" forum. I made the 17" choice for my own reason and other folks decided on whatever size front wheel for their own reason.
I just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly and that the loss in diameter is 1". I like the idea of carrying only one spare and I also like the looks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts