Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, Installed the 17t per Eagle Mike made the proper trim to counter shaft guard, no issues there.
Now after riding it yesterday and looking and trying to get some good pictures to show you, I found this. Clearance is tight! I dont think my tire is out of alinement but i have no strong evidence. Pics should show Zero clearance on the chain guard and both sides of the rear axle for alinement. Other than longer chain, change to 16t. does anybody have ideas? :banghead: Was really hoping to get all of the goodness out of the 17t on the hwy.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The clearance between the chain guide and the tire is very small on the KLRs. When I changed from the OEM Dunlop tire to a 5.1ox17 Kenda 270 knobby on my 2008 KLR the knobs sticking out on the side of the tire rubbed the chain guard.

I thought about shaving the knobs on the left side, but instead I modified the two (top and bottom) little angle brackets on the top and bottom of the yoke of the swingarm. I moved the chain guide from between the two vertical tabs on the brackets to the out side of the bracket and added an additional little angle piece to the out side to hold the guide in place. This solved the problem for me. Angle brackets are cheap at hardware stores or make your own

When I put 5.10x 17 Kenda 270 knobbies on my second KLR I did the same.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I wanted a 17, but kept the 16 and dropped to a 42 rear and the ctock length chain is fine.
Lost (obviously) some acceleration but the rpms are way down at hwy speeds.

Nice and smooth at 4,000 rpms doin' 60+.
Mileage is great with the needle stacked, baffled, and a 150 main.

It still rips arse in the first two gears offroad and at the most requires a little clutching
in the tight stuff at low speeds.

Great setup, but the 17 would rock on a cross country roadtrip if freeways are
involved.

Ride away!
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
120 Posts
The angle of the photos makes it hard to tell if your alignment lines are at the same spot on both sides. If the photos are near the same angle to the tensioners- you look a little off to me. To me, your right side appears tighter than the left.

You can stand behind the bike and look down the line of the chain from the rear wheel toward the front sprocket to eyeball whether your tire is aligned. If the chain appears perfectly straight you should be in alignment but if the chain appears to have a bend in it you'll need to adjust the chain tensioners.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went down to the 16t sprocket to gain room for now. Tighten the chain a little more seems to do better. Been on the hwy at a constant 70-80mph for 165miles each way. With the 16t been pushing 5200rpms. I might go back to the 17t but at 16t I was at full throttle to keep speed big head winds. On the windy trips was only getting 35mpg another trip was 45mpg. No oil burn on the new 2014.5 yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just wondering where ya'all are getting your 16 T sprockets and what you are paying for them. I have a 2014 New Edition just FYI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts