Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Feels more gyroscopic. Wants to be more stable in turns. Gives a bit more confidence in high speed sweepers. But that could be my tires as well. But because of the wider tire I'm sure the effects are really due to the wider contact patch. I rode up a dirt road and didn't have any trouble either. "Float" is the key word. I feel no reason to want to go back to a spindly 21" wheel.

OK, my speedo is all wonky, but I'm getting myself a Vapor Digital Speedo anyway, so in the meantime I'll just live with it.

·
Registered
990 Posts
i've had mine on there so long i've forgotton how it used to handle. it's very solid,planted,flickable even with dunlop 606's front and rear. it actually tracks better going straight than my uly does.

here is a pic for jay.

:cool:

or 2 or 3 :mrgreen: .

·
Registered
57 Posts
What are the disadvantages to the 18" front offroad? Does the smaller diameter make a diffrence rolling over stuff? I'm sure it tears it up on twisty pavement, no doubt, but when it comes to real offroad (bushwhacking, sandy desert blasting, riding washes and riverbeds, or climbing rocks trials style) does the 18" cut it? I'd really hate to endo dropping into a steep wash because the front wedged at the transition or summat.
IOW:
If i ride like a nut on dirt, would an 18" help or hurt?

·
Registered
990 Posts
HighDezert said:
IOW:
i can run 10lbs of air in the front and not worry about pinch flats. i can use the front brake much harder than i would with a 21" because of the increased contact patch.

i've yet to find a situation where it caused me a problem. if i'm falling down in snotty clay or deep sand washes so is everybody else that i'm riding with. the 120/90-18 i run on the front isn't much smaller in outside diameter than a 21".

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
What are the disadvantages to the 18" front offroad? Does the smaller diameter make a diffrence rolling over stuff? I'm sure it tears it up on twisty pavement, no doubt, but when it comes to real offroad (bushwhacking, sandy desert blasting, riding washes and riverbeds, or climbing rocks trials style) does the 18" cut it? I'd really hate to endo dropping into a steep wash because the front wedged at the transition or summat.
IOW:

A rear tire on the front is going to be alot heavier. Unless you want a Rokon type ride i.e. just plowing through stuff, going really slow, etc. a 21" wheel is optimum for off-road.

Good dirt technique is getting the front end light to get up and over obstacles. These guys that put a rear tire on the front haven't ever seen a sand wash full of big whoops before I bet. No way you want more front end weight through that.

·
Registered
452 Posts
i dont buy it , wider in anything soft is always better , floatation is what you need in soft sand if you dont have horse power to pick up front end to hammer thru .

Ive raced both deserts and mud you dont see alot of skinny tires in either . Steering will be slower but balance and floatation is improved when going slow in soft stuff .

ive owned a fat cat and tw200 both fat tired and floatation is great in sand and mud . balance is awsome at slow speeds but its heavier than a 21 so bike will be slower a little and tires will grab more objects on trail in tight stuff ..
i can see a great road tire on the curves to be a blast and encourage you to lay over a bit further ..lol

but on a under powered heavy bike in sand ,floatation is a must .

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
i dont buy it , wider in anything soft is always better , floatation is what you need in soft sand if you dont have horse power to pick up front end to hammer thru .

Ive raced both deserts and mud you dont see alot of skinny tires in either . Steering will be slower but balance and floatation is improved when going slow in soft stuff .

ive owned a fat cat and tw200 both fat tired and floatation is great in sand and mud . balance is awsome at slow speeds but its heavier than a 21 so bike will be slower a little and tires will grab more objects on trail in tight stuff ..
i can see a great road tire on the curves to be a blast and encourage you to lay over a bit further ..lol

but on a under powered heavy bike in sand ,floatation is a must .

HighDezert was asking about riding in the desert, this I know about. Mud, snow, glop, nope desert yes.

The KLR is allready front end heavy and under powered. A rear tire on the front is only going to make that worse. Not to mention making it harder to actually turn in the dirt.

All dirt bikes have a 21" front wheel and a 3" (give or take a bit) wide tire, seems to work. Even underpowered heavy bikes can unweight a 21"
front with technique (vs. horsepower).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts