1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i immediately thought of you guys over there and was hoping you all were ok. dunno if you or 19willys51 or monstarz knew any of those guys but my hats off to them and my prayers go out to thier families. anyone who fights fire is in my book a badass for the exact reason which happened to take place to these hero's. over here we are dealing with our own fire in the gila national forest which as of a few days ago had burned over 140 square miles and is only 35% contained, making it the largest fire in the u.s. right now. i can only hope that it was quick and they didnt suffer, i cant think of a much worse way to leave this world.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Craig, prayers are definitely coming your way from this household. If there are any local funds set up for financial help maybe you can post them here or send them to me privately. I know there are national organizations set up for that, but even those give me pause as in the past it had been found that funds somehow were diverted to causes from which they were intended. Our hearts go out to all the families who are effected by this catastrophe and especially the families of those who perished. May God accept them into his Kingdom.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your kind words. Tonight we are having a community wide memorial service. I don’t know what to suggest as far as charitable giving, I would say to check the Facebook page in my first post.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Wow. It amazes me when things like this happen. What an incredible tragedy. And how amazing that there are people who deliberately put themselves in harm's way to help others. I know a few of them. It takes a special person to be a firefighter, a cop, a soldier...

I always wanted to be a firefighter, but I have asthma. Mad respect for all firefighters, though.

My thoughts are with y'all. The families, of course, but this kind of thing affects the whole community.

Rest in peace, fellas. You earned it.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
Jesus. That's heartbreaking. It already was, but a picture speaks more sometimes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These are not my words , but they are my wife's. I'm not much of a word smith.
Quote:
Reading the stories of the Hotshots today and learning about their families has been sad but also uplifting. These men were the definition of brave. They put their bodies between us and the flames in order to save as many lives and properties as they could, not just here in Prescott, but all over the country. They didn't run away from danger, but toward it. God help me to learn from their example.
" Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" John 14:13

·
Registered
123 Posts
I am sorry but as a forest fire fighter for 35 years this is absolutely 100% unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason to lose your life to stop a forest fire. Look at the picture of that crew, houses and trees were all that was going to be lost. These are not "elite troops" who throw down their lives, they are not "heroes", they are young men and women doing a job for pay. They were killed on the job, and the people responsible for putting them in harms way need to be brought to task.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
garthw while i do agree with some of your statement i do however disagree with you on the fact that they are as well as you are hero's anyone willing to put thier life on the line for someone else whether they are paid for it or not is a hero.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Believe me NO ONE is willing to put their life on the line for a forest fire. I have taught forest fire science and fire behaviour for 20 years. I have worked with fire fighters from around the world. None would be willing to die to stop a fire. They are workers not troops. They do a job that is some times dangerous but you should never be put in a place that threatens your life.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
still you all go in knowing that it is a possibility. it's not like the average grocery store check out job.
of course you manage risk to the situation with info available but when one flashes up and you get trapped what else can you do?

i would like to see something other than a tent for a situation like this personally i know we have the technology.

·
Registered
123 Posts
still you all go in knowing that it is a possibility. it's not like the average grocery store check out job.
of course you manage risk to the situation with info available but when one flashes up and you get trapped what else can you do?

i would like to see something other than a tent for a situation like this personally i know we have the technology.
Yes there is more risk than a grocery clerk but there does not need to be. I see calling these young men and women "troops" and "heroes" as our way of justifying them being killed on the job.

In all my years working forest fires, and I have worked on some big ones, that make the Arizona fire look like a wiener roast, we have never lost a fire fighter due to burn over. The fire shelter has been proven to be useless time and time again. We have never used them and will never even consider a shelter as an option. I have studied video of work done in the International Crown Fire modeling studies. These test burns were completed with the work of fire folks from several nations including the US. The current "storm King" shelter ironically named after the last big fire to kill a hot shot crew was of only limited use in burn over and only if it was set up to use perfectly.

Here is some video from the ICFM tests. http://youtu.be/d2pzaog0oVU You can see some of the shelter work at about 4:35

This one shows the "in fire" temperatures over time http://youtu.be/zvPa_yEEd4E

1 - 17 of 17 Posts