Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!! Glad I found this forum. I have a blue and white 1986 KLR250. Unknown amount of miles, sprocket was wasted when I got it.

Here is the story: My friend got it from his neighbor for free. "Hey! Want a free dirt bike? Sure". Well it was a KLR250, so that was cool.

It hadn't run in years, and the speedo was busted off, so I have no idea how many actual miles it has. My friend cleaned the carb, and adjusted the valves and it ran! Flawlessly.

I decided I would buy it off of him, with the preface I wouldn't wine when it broke. Which I was expecting anyway lol..

Sure enough I get new tires, a new battery, new speedo assembly, new mirrors, fix the water pump and fix some of the plastic. After about 200 miles of riding it won't start again. I realize the valves are tight, back the adjusters off, and it runs for about another 150 miles.

I just adjusted them again, and it fires right up. But I know it won’t last if I start riding again. I am contemplating what to do. I know if I get rid of it I won’t have a bike for a long time lol.. So I am kinda leaning towards fixing it right.

I think it may be a valve seat recession problem. But I am not really sure. I guess the only way to know would be to pull the head. But it runs fine right now, sometimes starting in 1 kick.

Here is a video of the bike I made when working on it awhile back - youtube.com/watch?v=MwrFu5p7pjM

Let me know your thoughts! Would like some insight into what I might find, and need to do.

Thanks!!
86BLUE250

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I'm not sure if you've gotten it figured out yet. But I do want to help you. I assumed you cleaned the carbs, but you never mentioned it? Often times that will cause a problem with the bike turning off after running for a while.

Have you taken a compression test? Are the valves noisy, can you hear them at all?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts