Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, the carb on my 1986 kl600 is leaking a lot from the bottom of the bowl. I have taken it aprart and cleaned it very well. The bike runs but still spews tons of fuel. I have a spare old dirty carb that I cleaned the best I could. I swapped the float valve needle and float and center needle but still leaked a bunch. I've researched a bit and I guess it's common to have to replace a few of these carb components. Any idea on where I can get the parts? Or input to what is going on. I think it's the float valve needle. It looks good but who knows... Is my fuel filter supposed to only allow a certain amount of fuel pass?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Float sticking. While it is leaking, tap the float bowl gently with a screwdriver handle. If it stops...probably the float.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
Is there a brass overflow stand pipe inside your KLR600 float bowl, like inside a toilet tank?
Is your bike from Canada or Europe?

Your tapered drain screw maybe pitted or grit compressed into the female taper?

I thought 1983 was the last year for overflow stand pipes in the USA on street legal bikes?
Check this link!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there a brass overflow stand pipe inside your KLR600 float bowl, like inside a toilet tank?
Is your bike from Canada or Europe?

Your tapered drain screw maybe pitted or grit compressed into the female taper?

I thought 1983 was the last year for overflow stand pipes in the USA on street legal bikes?
Check this link!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[/QUOTYes there is a brass overflow stand pipe. I am not sure if it is Canadian or European. The title says 1986 KL600. I am a little new to carbs. I have a spare ( fairly corroded) carb as well and it has the same brass overflow stand pipe. Tried them both and still leaks the same. Is there a rebuild kit for this carb? Thanks a ton!

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
I'll suggest that with the carb removed from the bike, float bowl removed from the carb and inverted, a clear tubing like wet cell battery overflow hose attached to the overflow nipple and filled with gas or aerosol carb cleaner, one can confirm whether or not the drain screw is sealing. Edit; (One needs to hold their finger on the tip of the brass stand pipe inside the float bowl or find a cap to fit the top of the tiny pipe.)

All of the disassembled carb parts (DO NOT attempt to remove the throttle butterfly plate & shaft!) (Beware of the very strong spring under the LH side diaphragm cap!) can be soaked in Original formula PINE-SOL for a couple hours to remove fuel varnish. Rinse with water & dry with compressed air.

Then I'd use a small cotton swab with metal polish, to polish the inside of the non-replacable brass float valve seat.

You may only need a float bowl o-ring and/or a float needle if everything else cleans up. Measure the float height, holding the carburetor side-ways, Not up-side down, which compressed the tiny cushion spring!

I don't find any carb kits for the KL600. But KL650 kit would get you the smaller rubber parts & float needle. (DO NOT Use the jets for the 650, unless identical number to old 600 parts, pilot jet might be identical.)

Have you read this link & then watched the videos?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll suggest that with the carb removed from the bike, float bowl removed from the carb and inverted, a clear tubing like wet cell battery overflow hose attached to the overflow nipple and filled with gas or aerosol carb cleaner, one can confirm whether or not the drain screw is sealing.

All of the disassembled carb parts (DO NOT attempt to remove the throttle butterfly plate & shaft!) (Beware of the very strong spring under the LH side diaphragm cap!) can be soaked in Original formula PINE-SOL for a couple hours to remove fuel varnish. Rinse with water & dry with compressed air.

Then I'd use a small cotton swab with metal polish, to polish the inside of the non-replacable brass float valve seat.

You may only need a float bowl o-ring and/or a float needle if everything else cleans up. Measure the float height, holding the carburetor side-ways, Not up-side down, which compressed the tiny cushion spring!

I don't find any carb kits for the KL600. But KL650 kit would get you the smaller rubber parts & float needle. (DO NOT Use the jets for the 650, unless identical number to old 600 parts, pilot jet might be identical.)

Have you read this link & then watched the videos?

I ordered the 650 rebuild kit and an extra aftermarket float valve needle a few days ago outta desperation. Should be here tomorrow & I'll post my findings. Not too much info out there about this kl600 model. It seems identical to the 650's. Anyone know what the differences are? Or how I can tell if it's from Europe or Canada? Thanks again, hopefully I'll be back out again soon! Checking out these links now🙂

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So ingot the klr650 carb rebuild kit and putit all together except for what I believe was the fuel mixture screw. Left that alone. When I inverted the bowl and put a clear hose on the drain nipple and filled it, it just poured right through. Even after I replaced the o ring on the drain screw. Let me know how to address as it's still leaking a fair amount. I also didn't change the center needle as the new one looked different and the old one looked good. I did ride the bike for 20 miles and it did well except for some heavy backfiring and a few times it would stall out in 4th or 5th gear at 50+ mph... Uggh sure hope to work out these issues.

·
Premium Member
8,899 Posts
When I inverted the bowl and put a clear hose on the drain nipple and filled it, it just poured right through.
Whoops! Sorry!
One needs to hold their finger on the tip of the brass stand pipe inside the float bowl or find a cap to fit the top of the tiny pipe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't seem to get carb to stop leaking. Can anyone provide a link to where I can get a new one or reliable aftermarket carb? I'm having trouble finding one. Will a 650 carb work? Kinda leaning towards a better one if it exists.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,399 Posts
There’s no better carb for a KLR 650 than what it came with. Search the threads here.

Where is it leaking from? Report back so we have some information to start troubleshooting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There’s no better carb for a KLR 650 than what it came with. Search the threads here.

Where is it leaking from? Report back so we have some information to start troubleshooting.
After all this it was definitely the bowl that was faulty. Went over it all again, complete disassemble watch videos etc. All good now, thanks everyone!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts