Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Recently pulled my bike out of storage and have gone over many things to get her going strong again. Was just out riding and after 15 or so miles of hilly ( paved ) back road rompin, there was a loud clunking that came from the engine as I accelerated up a hill at about 35 mph. Then it stalled. Got it to start again after cooling down ( was near overheating). Got it home about 10 miles away and it still would go ok 45+ mph... it knocked loud the whole way home... Pretty sure something broke. What should I tear apart now?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hello. If you are sure it is from the top end, then pull the valve cover and see what is knocking. It could be the compression release, they have been known to fail. You won't know till you look.
So sorry , you must have been excited to be riding again, and then to have it break UUUGGG!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I took the valve cover off and I think the compression release spring broke. There is none, and I can see signs of a spring being there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well fml. Just drove far far away to pick up spring rather than wait a few days for mail. Replaced the spring, then found the old one down in there as well. Put it all back together and seems to still have a loud bad sound and doesn't wanna stay running too well. She did idle for a while but eventually would keep stalling out and sounding like ass. So I called it a day for now. Any advice? Has anyone ever repaired valves? Or any other input?

·
Registered
1999 KL650A
29 Posts
Where was the spring when you found it? And have you measured valve clearance?
I’m a noob so grain of salt but I had an expansion plug pop out the intake camshaft & get lodged beneath a cam lobe, which bent the valve stem. When I finally got in there to measure valve clearance I found the expansion plug in the deeper RH corner of the cyl head, away from the cams.

Point being that even if you found the spring somewhere relatively innocuous It may have caused some other issue before that (although idk how much that teeny lil spring could mess with the cams/valves). I also don’t know if janky valves would cause that knocking, but I’m sure someone here who knows stuff will tell you stuff.
Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where was the spring when you found it? And have you measured valve clearance?
I’m a noob so grain of salt but I had an expansion plug pop out the intake camshaft & get lodged beneath a cam lobe, which bent the valve stem. When I finally got in there to measure valve clearance I found the expansion plug in the deeper RH corner of the cyl head, away from the cams.

Point being that even if you found the spring somewhere relatively innocuous It may have caused some other issue before that (although idk how much that teeny lil spring could mess with the cams/valves). I also don’t know if janky valves would cause that knocking, but I’m sure someone here who knows stuff will tell you stuff.
Good luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I found the spring in the cavity directly below the KACR. Its in good condition still and I saved it in case I'm in a pinch. They are hard to get locally. I think this may just be coincidentally occurred at the same time as value getting bent perhaps... Here is the bike at idle 20 min after I heard the break.

I babied it home and it would do 45+ mph but wanted to stall at a stop. So I didn't really. I replaced the spring but the sound is almost the same, just less directly by the KACR and sounds like from valves area. I put it back together and added a new part. A for sale sign... Sincerely, frustrated and looking for a more reliable ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I found the spring in the cavity directly below the KACR. Its in good condition still and I saved it in case I'm in a pinch. They are hard to get locally. I think this may just be coincidentally occurred at the same time as value getting bent perhaps... Here is the bike at idle 20 min after I heard the break. I babied it home and it would do 45+ mph but wanted to stall at a stop. So I didn't really. I replaced the spring but the sound is almost the same, just less directly by the KACR and sounds like from valves area. I put it back together and added a new part. A for sale sign... Sincerely, frustrated and looking for a more reliable ride.
And it could be again something minor I hope. I'm am just losing faith that after it runs again it will only be a few hundred miles at best before another disassemble.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I found the spring in the cavity directly below the KACR. Its in good condition still and I saved it in case I'm in a pinch. They are hard to get locally. I think this may just be coincidentally occurred at the same time as value getting bent perhaps... Here is the bike at idle 20 min after I heard the break.

I babied it home and it would do 45+ mph but wanted to stall at a stop. So I didn't really. I replaced the spring but the sound is almost the same, just less directly by the KACR and sounds like from valves area. I put it back together and added a new part. A for sale sign... Sincerely, frustrated and looking for a more reliable ride.
I did measure the valve clearances and wrote it all down. Will check to see if they are within tolerance when my 36 yr old repair manual arivves in a day or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts