Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a little background on my KLR 600. I bought the bike with 1400 miles on it from a guy in phoenix. It has sat in his yard for 5 years. The bike had been covered so the plastics and the seat are fine. I took it to a shop in Mesa AZ that has worked on my Hondas for me and always did a great job for a good price.

I received a call about a month ago saying "your bike fired right up and runs great, all we did was clean the carb." I went to the shop a few days later and they told me the bike wont start anymore and we worked on it all day. It has spark, the valves are set, and it has compression 100 + psi. I picked it up and decided to try and fix it myself.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions other than to sell it or to scrap it? I am now into this bike for $959.99 I know it is not a lot but I wanted to ride it to Mexico....
[email protected]

·
Registered
704 Posts
Start simple and don't assume anything - like the shop removed the tank and thoroughly cleaned it before putting fresh gas in. Just because it has spark to the plug doesn't mean the plug's not shorting. Replace the plug with new or known good one.

If that doesn't fix it, shoot a bit of carb cleaner or ether into the airbox and see it if will fire that way. If it does, I'll bet you a sixpak that the petcock is turned off or the vacuum tube to the petcock is compromised.

The bike, as you describe it, is certainly worthy of some repair $$.

Keep us posted and good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BigIron,
I have set aside the weekend to go through the bike and I will put a new plub in and check the fuel flow and also check the jets. Thank you for the heads up.
Geoff

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MetalBender,
Thank you I will take a look at the plug wire connection and see if it is the problem. Thank you for the tip. How did your 600 hold up? Is/was it a good bike?
Geoff

1 - 4 of 4 Posts