Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have recent acquired a 88 KLR 250 that had been sitting in a shed collecting dust for about 15 years. I have replaced the carb with a brand new one, I have spark, new battery, new oil & coolant. Everything I can think of I have tried with no luck..
Any advice would be greatly appreciated..

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Can you measure the Cold Cranking Compression with the throttle Wide Open? Tight valve tappets cause LOW engine compression. Too LOW of engine compression causes a non-starter. A fast push-start may make it run, but you CAN'T kick it that fast!

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
You need spark, compression, and combustible mixture to run.

You can verify spark by removing spark plug wire and placing the end close to a ground, kicking the engine over with the kickstart lever and observing spark gap (if any). You can verify the existence of compression from resistance of the kick-starter lever. You can verify whether your carb renders a combustible mixture by spraying STARTING FLUID into the carb (have fire extinguisher handy); if the bike runs on starting fluid, but not on its own gasoline, you have a fuel source/carburetor problem.

You DID drain all the old gasoline (including that in the carb float bowl), replaced with fresh "dry" gas, right? Maybe, even, take a look at a partially or fully disassembled carb; adjusting and cleaning as appropriate?

Avoid a blind alley; falsely blaming the battery and charging voltage for non-starting: The ignition circuit remains fully separate from the battery circuit on a KLR 250; the bike should run without any battery at all.

Excellent videos of carb cleaning and adjustment can be found in the, "Carb Overhaul" thread on this website: https://www.klrforum.com/how-tos-tech-guides/19026-carb-overhaul.html Your KLR 250 carb's quite similar to the CVK 40; take a look at the, "Care and Feeding of the CVK 40" treatise if interested in carb theory and operation: https://www.klrforum.com/how-tos-tech-guides/45258-care-feeding-cvk40.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I did get it running yesterday. After it sat out in the sun for about an hour to 2 hours I was able to bump start it & it seems like all is ok. It may have a bit of a low compression issue, due to sitting the rings would be sticky.. I have to do a choke & idle adjustment, but for now it is running.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts