Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last couple of times I've used the bike I noticed my right shoe was wet.
Today I investigated and it smelled of coolant. When I got home I removed the coolant tank only to find a 10cms./4" hairline crack.

After cleaning and scraping the crack I used a plastic cable/zip tie as the filling material and melted it into the crack with a clean soldering iron.
For belts and braces I then put a layer of two part plastic cement over the repair.
I tested the repair with a few PSI and it seems to be holding OK.

A new replacement of course would cost an arm and a leg :frown2: And why the coolant tank is extruded to such a thin thickness is unbelievable at only 0.95mm where the crack appeared is cost cutting to the extreme!

James

·
Registered
389 Posts
After the fitting melted that the Overflow Hose attaches to melted (Heat from the Exhaust Pipe), I made a Heat Shield from some aluminum sheet and pop riveted it to the bracket that supports the Overflow Tank and most of the bikes electrics. So far, so good; the Overflow Tank hasn't suffered any visible damage since.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
389 Posts
Just a thought. The on-line dealer I've had some success with sells our Kawasaki Coolant Recovery Tank P/N 43078-1083 new for $30.39. That's what I paid and that's what it is listed for now on their website (that rhymes with Godzilla). If they, as a commercial business, can ship to a commercial business in Spain, that might bring the total cost to you down to just shy of the mildly excessive level. Not sure about international shipping fees, but in the USA there can be a significant difference when shipping business to business, as opposed to when a consumer is in the mix.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a thought. The on-line dealer I've had some success with sells our Kawasaki Coolant Recovery Tank P/N 43078-1083 new for $30.39. That's what I paid and that's what it is listed for now on their website (that rhymes with Godzilla). If they, as a commercial business, can ship to a commercial business in Spain, that might bring the total cost to you down to just shy of the mildly excessive level. Not sure about international shipping fees, but in the USA there can be a significant difference when shipping business to business, as opposed to when a consumer is in the mix.
Thanks again for such good advice. I would willingly pay $30.39 for a new tank but these ridiculous shipping costs that cost more than the spare part is why I will not buy these items.

Check it out, add the item to your shopping basket then put Spain or Gibraltar as the shipping destination and see what they charge!

On top of the $30.39 plus whatever the shipping will be, I have to pay an extra 20% of the total cost of the item plus the shipping charge in import tax duty.

If my repair does not hold up I've already seen flat water bottles that I can modify to fit for around $15.

James.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Thanks again for such good advice. I would willingly pay $30.39 for a new tank but these ridiculous shipping costs that cost more than the spare part is why I will not buy these items.

Check it out, add the item to your shopping basket then put Spain or Gibraltar as the shipping destination and see what they charge!

On top of the $30.39 plus whatever the shipping will be, I have to pay an extra 20% of the total cost of the item plus the shipping charge in import tax duty.

If my repair does not hold up I've already seen flat water bottles that I can modify to fit for around $15.

James.
Wow! That's no fun at all! Almost enough to motivate one to purchase either a Bultaco or a Montesa!

I don't suppose these folks are of any help? kawasaki.es/es/products

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Muchas gracias

How about from the UK or from Germany?

Radiator tank overflow bottle from Kawasaki KLR650, 2005

1. KAWASAKI KLR 650 KL650A DEPÓSITO DE COMPENSACIÓN DEL REFRIGERANTE

Whatever you do, you should consider a shield as Bluehighways has built. The dreaded Melted Nipple Syndrome is not unknown.
Thanks Tom, I've bought that tank for €41 Euros with FREE shipping from Germany :smile2:

It's the same year as my bike 1988 and hopefully without cracks. I will also Make up a heatshield as per Bluehighways brilliant idea.

Thanks to all,
James.

·
Administrator
8,598 Posts
I think two worthwhile heat shields for the KLR are for the coolant tank and for the air box.

The coolant overflow tank has none at all and Melted Nipple Syndrome is a heartbreaking condition, worse than psoriasis*.

After my nipple melted I made a heat shield. Bluehighway's is, I think, a cleaner and better job of it.

The airbox' heat shield is a bit skimpy and the header/muffler joint can leak and burn a hole in the clean air side of the box. An extended shield is not a bad idea. Making sure that the header/muffler joint is sound is an even better idea...
http://www.klrforum.com/how-tos-tech-guides/51082-one-less-thing-worry-about.html

*My sense of humor is an acquired taste. Tongue is firmly planted in cheek, puns and word play abound. Take it or leave it, but don't take it seriously.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The coolant overflow tank has none at all and Melted Nipple Syndrome is a heartbreaking condition, worse than psoriasis*.

*My sense of humor is an acquired taste. Tongue is firmly planted in cheek, puns and word play abound. Take it or leave it, but don't take it seriously.
Not to be confused with sobriety :grin2:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here is my very quick bodge/chapusa/fix until the other tank from Germany arrives.
The cracks were welded and filled with similar material then coated with Nural quick setting epoxy.
I've refilled the tank and started the engine and there are no leaks :wink2:

I have lots of aluminium and stainless steel sheet metal so whilst it's stripped down to the overflow tank, I'll fabricate a heat shield.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts