Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was replacing the chain and rear tire, and upon removing the forward chain guard, imagine my surprise when I see that the front sprocket has been WELDED onto the output shaft--and it's crooked, too! I'm debating whether to hunt down another output shaft (depends largely on what kind of prices I see for the part; the work is no problem) or having my rather more talented friend attempt the welding job a second time to see if he can produce a better result (I'm sure he would, but still would prefer the alternative if affordable).

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts
OUCH!
Most owners would walk away.
Very time consuming to totally dis-mantle an engine and rebuild.

You might consider purchasing newer parts which use a NUT to retain the sprocket, instead of the 'twist-lock' and bolted retainer plate!

A little searching may yield the part numbers needed. Or maybe purchase an Entire Transmission cluster, even cheaper from 2008-2009 oil burner years.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do the cases split horizontally? On my CB750s replacing the output shaft is far from a world ending task. Pull the engine, remove the lower engine case, swap it out, apply sealant and reverse.

Much more work if the cases split vertically, as then you have to take the top end down.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
Can a small weld be chiseled/ dremeled and the splines cleaned up right on the bike?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Potentially. I worry about the condition of the shaft under the weld, though. It was probably so far gone that welding it was the only feasible option. KLR parts aren't exactly easy to come by in Taiwan. I am heading back to the States for a vacation soon, though, and I'll be able to grab all sorts of parts while I'm there and bring them back with me. I want to get doohickey parts and clutch plates, as well. I'm almost positive that the Taiwanese have no idea that the doohickey even exists, so I'm sure it'll need replacing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking about for a replacement shaft... these buggers ain't easy to come by. Found a pair of shafts (input and output) on ebay from a 1985 that might work, but I'm not sure. Anyone got a spare output shaft lying about? Actually, I remember seeing something about a guy who had a destroyed engine from an old Tengai, and used the top end from it to restore an '08 engine. Wonder if he still has any parts from it....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts