Kawasaki KLR Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I'm having issues getting the right size shim for my intake valves. When I measured the clearance on these valves not even my smallest .04mm tool would fit; I took this to mean 0 clearance so I went down from a 2.65 to a 2.50. The problem is that clearance still reads as less than .04mm. My thinking now is to go down to a 2.35 shim, but I would like to know your input before I waste more money on unnecessary shims.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
I'll take a WAG at this, and suggest that your camshaft lobes are all 4 pointing towards the center.
So that would be at TDC of the Intake Stroke. Your intakes valves are OPENING and your Exhaust valves recently Closed, so the exhaust valves do have clearance.

I think that you need to turn the crankshaft 360 degrees CCW to get to TDC of the Compression stroke. Which will have the cam lobes facing AWAY from the spark plug.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
When the cams are properly aligned, you should have the two arrows on the cam sprockets pointing forward and aligned with the top of cylinder head. Also the tic mark T (Sideways T for tappets) should be lined up in the upper viewport on the left side engine cover.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll take a WAG at this, and suggest that your camshaft lobes are all 4 pointing towards the center.
So that would be at TDC of the Intake Stroke. Your intakes valves are OPENING and your Exhaust valves recently Closed, so the exhaust valves do have clearance.

I think that you need to turn the crankshaft 360 degrees CCW to get to TDC of the Compression stroke. Which will have the cam lobes facing AWAY from the spark plug.
My system looked exactly like the picture above. Two arrows pointing foreword and and the lobes pointing towards the spark plug. That's what the manual stated I should do. I also measured and adjusted the exhaust valves and those had no issues with the clearance. Would doing as you suggested affect the exhaust measurement as well?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When the cams are properly aligned, you should have the two arrows on the cam sprockets pointing forward and aligned with the top of cylinder head. Also the tic mark T (Sideways T for tappets) should be lined up in the upper viewport on the left side engine cover.

View attachment 31419

View attachment 31420
Thank you for the pictures. That is exactly how my system looked when I took the measurements

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
I'm obnoxious - a real pain at times 'cause I tend to think in pictures.

Not sure why your clearances are out of whack like that.

How was the bike running before you started adjusting the valves?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm obnoxious - a real pain at times 'cause I tend to think in pictures.

Not sure why your clearances are out of whack like that.

How was the bike running before you started adjusting the valves?
The bike was running pretty bad actually. It would not start on <65 degree weather. I've put it back together now and it runs much better even with the clearance issue in the intake valves. I also adjusted the exhaust valves so maybe that is the cause for the improvement. As of now I'm not having issues with how the bike runs, but I'm concerned about such tight intake valves since I've heard that can be damaging to the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.