Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!
I just bought my first ever KLR 1994.
Everything's ok with it but something. It has been consuming a little oil and staining my rear fender near the exhaust.
Valve seals just got replaced.
So what can this be? Piston rings?

Also the little window to check the oil level is cloudy and it's really hard to check the oil level.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
With the skid plate removed, and a 1/4 or 3/8 inch SHARP wood chisel in hand, the oil window can be Extracted, cleaned & Re-installed. Best to be a fully warmed engine, to soften the rubber seal around the window.

With the flat side of wood chisel against the glass, reach across the glass from 5:00 to 11:00 position and poke the corners of the wood chisel under the steel rim of the window, push the chisel handle towards the frame to extract the window.

Re-sharpen the chisel & use it to scrape the crud off of the inside of the window.
Push the window back in with your thumbs or a wooden handle.

Reactions: pablo.gyds03

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the skid plate removed, and a 1/4 or 3/8 inch SHARP wood chisel in hand, the oil window can be Extracted, cleaned & Re-installed. Best to be a fully warmed engine, to soften the rubber seal around the window.

With the flat side of wood chisel against the glass, reach across the glass from 5:00 to 11:00 position and poke the corners of the wood chisel under the steel rim of the window, push the chisel handle towards the frame to extract the window.

Re-sharpen the chisel & use it to scrape the crud off of the inside of the window.
Push the window back in with your thumbs or a wooden handle.
Just to make sure... obviously i have to drain to oil first, right?:unsure:

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
yup, or the oil will be everywhere. i would do a long ride first and see if it clears. my glass stays cloudy sometimes but clears up after a good heat cycle on engine

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
some carbon on the rear fender is normal; a bit more if it's running rich. Oil burning can be an issue and the first step is to monitor usage; keep the oil level at the VERY top of the sightglass and make sure to check it before every ride and at every fuel stop. Many people think that oil burning is due to bad valve stem seals but that's actually rare and it is usually the bore/rings/piston. Paul has some modifications that may help, particularly with the "sustained high sustained rpm burn"....if the bore is badly out of round or the piston has a broken ring land, nothing short of a BB kit will fix.

Dave

·
Premium Member
6,841 Posts
Just to make sure... obviously i have to drain to oil first, right?:unsure:
NO NEED to drain the engine oil. With the bike on the side stand the oil level should be Well Under the window level.
Unless your oil level is currently Over Filled?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts