Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Kawasaki Klr 250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a 1996 KLR 250 a few weeks ago with no electronics working with a new battery and a new fuse. Is there anything I can try before buying a different hardness? Anything is helpful. The bikes runes with kick start so it's good there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The problem could be a few things. I'm not familiar with the KLR250 but it should have a simple electrical system.
The battery is charged and has power? Do you have a manual with a wiring diagram and a test light.
Check both sides of the fuse for power with the test light.
There should be power to the ignition switch and power from the ignition switch when the key is on.

·
Registered
1996 Kawasaki Klr 250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem could be a few things. I'm not familiar with the KLR250 but it should have a simple electrical system.
The battery is charged and has power? Do you have a manual with a wiring diagram and a test light.
Check both sides of the fuse for power with the test light.
There should be power to the ignition switch and power from the ignition switch when the key is on.
The battery is brand new I got it when I bought the bike and a new fuse for it. I don’t have a test light I’ll get one once I’m off of work to test the plugs. I’m going to get come wire connection cleaner and clean all the connections. Will come back sometime tonight with my findings.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Power from the battery is White wire to the fuse then to the ignition switch. Power comes out of the ignition switch on the Brown wire to most circuits. But ignition switch also supplies power to the Red wire to the meters and the Red/White wire to the tail light.

Reactions: Xg45

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,179 Posts
In addition to the others’ comments; Take apart as many of the connectors and screw connections as you can find. Plug/unplug or wiggle several times to clear off corrosion. Then squirt with chain wax or white grease or T6 or something to repel water and prevent future corrosion. I do this with every older bike or car I buy.

Chances are good that it’s something simple. You just have to find it.

·
Registered
1996 Kawasaki Klr 250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, I’ve found out why my bike has no power. It was the Voltage Regulator. I bought a voltage meter last night and fiddle around with different wires until I came to the regulator. I have ordered a new one and hopefully it fixes my problem.

·
Registered
1996 Kawasaki Klr 250
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Power from the battery is White wire to the fuse then to the ignition switch. Power comes out of the ignition switch on the Brown wire to most circuits. But ignition switch also supplies power to the Red wire to the meters and the Red/White wire to the tail light.
I followed the brown wire and the negative wire to the voltage regulator and got a meter and plug it into the negative and positive and that was my problem. I have ordered a new one and waiting for it to get here to see if there any other problems. Thanks for all your help.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I followed the brown wire and the negative wire to the voltage regulator and got a meter and plug it into the negative and positive and that was my problem.
The Brown wire going INTO the voltage regulator is AFTER the ignition switch. I don't believe that you've found the problem yet, and probably spent money on a part that you probably won't need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts