Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS. Am not wanting to buy a newer model until I have some miles of riding experience on & off road. I definitely want to get into back country...

·
Registered
120 Posts
As far as a first bike, a '93 would be great because you can't hurt it, and if you managed to break it, it wont cost much to repair. Are you tall? I think the tall seat height of the KLR can be intimidating and may make it difficult to feel confident at stops.

Very low miles on a bike make me nervous. How low are you talking? When did those miles get put on it? If the guy has put on say 1k or more in the last year it's probably a fine purchase. A lot of the rubber bits can dry out just sitting (fork seals, hoses, o-rings, some gaskets). Now, it could make for a fantastic learning opportunity repairing your own bike! It sort of depends on how much you may want to futz with it.

edit: Actually, if you inspect the bike pretty well, you're bound to find some leaking seals or something and might be able to get yourself a nice bargain. They are easy bikes to work on....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow! Thanks so much!! Very very helpful!!
I'm 6'2" and I have never ridden a KLR, only sat on a new one in a show room (near Indpls, IN) where I live. The seat hight seemed to be fine...
Re actual miles, it has only 1,400 so must have sat most of its life I'd guess. The seller says the carb has been rebuilt and something in the fuel line replaced. (Don't remember what that's called)
I'm fairl adept with tools and figuring out things mechanical so the idea of working on it is comfortable.. And I do like the idea of learning to work on bikes in general...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I am going through a dealer so I can't talk to the (one only) original owner, but am under impression the bike had not been ridden in recent years. The dealer says they cleaned it up and it runs great...

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
I'd be reaaally tempted by that thing.

Kind of like getting in the Wayback machine with Mr. Peabody.

What are they asking for it, and do you have any pictures that show the condition (like a link to an online ad or Craigsllist)?

Tom

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes! I'd made the decision last night AFTER joining & checking in with you guys here at the forum... Love the toon!!
(Will try to post a few pics during lunch today.)

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
You won't be able to post pictures until you have 15 posts on the forum.

Try it anyway and I can fix the link to make it work. Assuming a Photobucket or similar type link. Alternately PM the link to a Moderator.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is each of my notes in this discussion a ,"post?" (I have pics downliaded to my cell phone... Not sure how to post a link from my cell. Ok, I can use my laptop when I get to a wifi and send a link to a Mod... If I can figure out how to do THAT! Lol)

·
Administrator
8,289 Posts
Yes, each of your 'notes' is a post. You have seven posts right now.

Go ahead and use the e-mail address I sent you in the Private Message (PM) to send whole pictures, or PM klr4ever or me with the link.

Tom

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
You will have to upload the picture to a hosting site like Photobucket.

Alternately you should be able to upload to the VB Image Host here in the title bar at the top of any page. Only problem with that is you are limited to size.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have sent pics to Tom Shmitz so hopefully they will be posted sometime tonight.

Now I know I'm going to get some grief about the girlie color... As I'm an older guy on his first bike, the "bright" color... Well, I actually like it! Just last weekend I purchased a "safely yellow" dual sport Arai helmet and I think the bike and helmet were made for each other! LOL (I am hyper safety conscious right now... hope that never changes!! Took ABATE in September.)

Also, I know I paid way over the kkb suggested retail ($1,600), but again... to me, it seems worth it! After the dealer add-ons and before shipping, I paid $2,322. Shipping should be an additional $250 giving me a total of $2,572.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hey Rando, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..If ya likes it, ya likes it! Slide on down this way sometime . I ain't ashamed of riding with ya.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ride Appointment #1... LOL ;)

Hey Rando, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder..If ya likes it, ya likes it! Slide on down this way sometime . I ain't ashamed of riding with ya.
Grasshopper, you're gonna love my helmet! LOL Although I'm sure you've seen them in the shops.

Thanks for the invitation. A ride to Ohio would give me a chance to see how my new "lightweight" bike handles the wind... I say lightweight became the newer KLRs are at least 100 lbs heavier!

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
I have sent pics to Tom Shmitz so hopefully they will be posted sometime tonight.

Now I know I'm going to get some grief about the girlie color...
If it's the blue and white, which I think was the colour back then, I for one am going to like it.

·
Administrator
3,563 Posts
Also, I know I paid way over the kkb suggested retail ($1,600), but again... to me, it seems worth it! After the dealer add-ons and before shipping, I paid $2,322. Shipping should be an additional $250 giving me a total of $2,572.
If it is as you described and as I thinking it will be I don't think you got a bad deal at. You can pay more and get less. Without any pictures I was thinking $2000 so I wasn't that far off. The main thing is that if you are happy with the deal it doesn't matter what others think. It's done now so enjoy it.

·
Lifetime Member
2,483 Posts
Here's a PDF with the KLR timeline showing the different years and colors. If you are talking about the Barbie bikes (94 and 95) I don't think they look girlie at all! Lol, they just had kind of a garish color scheme. If I ever found one mint for a decent price I would be tempted to scoop it just because it's so unusual. Lol :)
http://www.watt-man.com/uploads/KLR_Timeline.pdf
Your going to love the KLR, all years are great. :character00201:

Edit: Oops, I missed the 93 part! Sharp looking rig! :)

1 - 20 of 107 Posts