Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched everywhere and never have I seen something about the fork oil levels in the C model with the bigger forks. Perhaps I am obsessing and should just go with the A model specs but just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it.
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,363 Posts
Wow, that's a bit of a tough one.

The volume of the stroke on the C model is 6% larger than the stroke volume on the A model, so try going that much over the A model spec.

That would work out to 200mm.

This something yo may want to tune a bit anyway. If the fork seems harsh, drop the level a tad; opposite for a stiffer feel.

Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
KLR650C Fork Oil Level

I have searched everywhere and never have I seen something about the fork oil levels in the C model with the bigger forks. Perhaps I am obsessing and should just go with the A model specs but just wanted to know if anyone knew anything about it.
Thanks
G'day Decarabas,
I just found your query so here are some facts from the KLR650C supplementary service manual.

Fork Oil
Viscosity SAE10W20
Amount (per side): -
When changing oil: Approx 320ml
After disassembly and completely dry: 377 +/- 4ml

And this from my maintenance notes:-
153mm from top of fork inner with spring & spacer removed and shocker in fully compressed position….approximately 540ml or 540cc for each leg.
I am not sure where I found this information but that is what I have written.

I have since installed Ricor Intiminators and this altered the figures again to:
As written in my Log:
I ordered Intiminators from Ricor.
39mm was wrong as supplied. They sent another set 41mm with spare BMW seals. I tried the seals as supplied with the 41mm but they didn’t fit.
I used the BMW size ones.
5W Silkolene oil approximately 530cc measured with spring out Intiminator in and 152mm from the top of the fully compressed fork leg.

I hope this gives you some idea of the quantities involved.
The above works well in my bike and the Intiminators made a huge difference both in the brake dive and the wallowing around higher speed sweeping bends.
Why the two different methods of measurement, I don't really know. To my understanding the amount of oil should be measured in volume not distance to the top of the oil. How I arrived at the larger capacity I can't remember but the 320ml/cc shown in the service manual seems to be incorrect.

Cheers
Glenn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts