Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be a common issue, but the solution is all over the place. Bought the bike non running. Replaced quite a few things. Ignition switch, stator, rectifier, battery, starter solenoid, both relays. I checked the fuses, start stop switch, neutral, and side stand switch, pickup coil, ignition coil/wire/cap... But still NO spark!
I wanted to test the CDI with my analog multimeter, but I need the specs. I really don't want to throw another expensive part at it just for it not to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might have to get a probe and trace power spark plug back. Could be short circuit wire somewhere in the system. Does not need battery to run so might be a spec check game along with wiring.

·
Registered
5,971 Posts
Resistance specifications for CDI terminals appear in service manuals.

More directly, substitution of a known operational CDI igniter might tell the tale.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Purchase a proper Service Manual, with the specs and Test your components with your analog meter!
A proper service manual will be the BEST money invested into your bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Purchase a proper Service Manual, with the specs and Test your components with your analog meter!
A proper service manual will be the BEST money invested into your bike.
I was borrowing a friends service manual but gave it back when I lost hope lol. Guess I'll have to look at it again. Unfortunately my friend doesnt have a first gen anymore.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I was borrowing a friends service manual but gave it back when I lost hope lol. Guess I'll have to look at it again. Unfortunately my friend doesnt have a first gen anymore.
I think you can even find the Kawasaki service manuals On-line at kawasaki.com and print the pages needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This seems to be a common issue, but the solution is all over the place. Bought the bike non running. Replaced quite a few things. Ignition switch, stator, rectifier, battery, starter solenoid, both relays. I checked the fuses, start stop switch, neutral, and side stand switch, pickup coil, ignition coil/wire/cap... But still NO spark!
I wanted to test the CDI with my analog multimeter, but I need the specs. I really don't want to throw another expensive part at it just for it not to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Check the kill switch! I bought one non starting as well and it turned out to be the toggle not disconnecting the black white and black wire. Without the wire insulated it will prevent spark. It took me a week to trace it down lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts