Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 09 KLR, has a "clunk" between 1st and 2nd gears. Normal or should I be concerned???? Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,474 Posts
Just bought an 09 KLR, has a "clunk" between 1st and 2nd gears. Normal or should I be concerned???? Thanks
I've heard many mention it so believe it's pretty normal. I found an aftermarket longer shift lever will lessen the perceived "clunk" but isn't necessary. I didn't put one on for that reason, but found the shift between 1st and 2nd felt smoother with the longer lever.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clunk

My 09 does it also. I have an 1800 Goldwing that does it worse than the KLR. I think nearly all bikes do. I have read an explanation but don't remember exactly what it was. It seems like there are way more cogs to mesh in the lower gears.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i'm gonna say normal. klr is clunkier than my other bikes. bmw is almost not perceivable when shifting. changing the oil may help? as long as it goes into gear i think you are ok

·
Registered
86 Posts
Every bike I have had has clunked shifting from 1st to 2nd. Some worse than others. Has something to do with having to "jump" over nuetral. IMO...

·
Registered
281 Posts
It is normal and is determined by how you shift from first to second. You can reduce the clunk by preloading the shift lever slightly prior to initiating each shift.
Try it, you may like it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts