Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first KLR, a 2013, about 2 months ago. When I bought it the oil was quite low and it had been sitting for a few months. Ive fixed it up a bit, and have been commuting on it a few days a week. One day I was experimenting with 2 finger clutch pulls, and since then second gear has been giving me trouble.

About 3/4 of the time when going from first to second, it gets stuck in neutral. I always try and make sure to give a long kick as its quite a distrance from first to second, but about half the time it grinds and gets stuck in neutral. Ive tried kicking up harder, reving it out before shifting, dropping to really low revs before shifting, but nothing has given me consistent results. About 1/8 shifts ill go right into second without grinding or getting stuck in neutral. All other shifts are buttery smooth, including second-third and third-second. Shifting down from second to first hasnt given me any probelms either. Im guessing it would be much more than I’d want to pay to have a fork or gear replaced. Is there any chance this could just be my bad shifting?

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I'll suggest that it is a combination of things, including your left foot. The vertical Length of stroke is EXACTLY the same between all gears. Neutral is halfway between 1st & 2nd. Continue to hold your toe up against the gear pedal as you let the clutch lever out, if it didn't slide all the way thru neutral, it Will as you release the clutch.

The distance between gear pedal and footpeg can be a little tight for many people. A set of 1/2 inch rear off-set pegs by Moose Racing or Knight Designs may help. Or a set of 'Down & Back' footrest brackets by JNS Engineering. Or re-positioning the shift pedal up or down One Spline. Or using anti-seize thread lube on the shifter mounting bolt to simply tightening a sloppy fitting gear pedal! Or installing a longer gear pedal by IMS or Happy Trails.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The previous owner installed aftermarket pegs and a long shift lever that fits me fine. I check it every few days to make sure its tight, I do not accept play in my controls. Ill try the clutch idea, sounds like it might make a difference. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts