Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking this thing up to WV(Parkersburg) from Western NC(Asheville)--- 6 hrs by car so I am leaving 9 hrs by bike-- Im sure my old bones will need a few long breaks. Im leaving midday to avoid night riding.
Ive done some 2 hrs trips locally and have not had any issues with the bike at all. This trip will be mostly 55 mPH roads -- Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Yea dito on the not trying to be an iron man take your time that is some great county you will be riding in enjoy pack some water an a snack or two.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx for replys

I am alittle intimidated by it, but Ive done my homework. If I forget to pack it I dont need it... (except for water and some snacks)

When I get there we have a golf day FRI & ATV trip planned for SAT w/ 40 ATVs-- It should be a great weekend .. The trails we are going on are over my ability on a bike or I would love to take the KLR-- maybe nxt time--
We will take some pics and update later

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I will about guarantee, that you will forget something, but that happens to all of us, and you learn from those outtings. My biggest fear is not having enough tools to do the job, because on our first outting down in TN, we were miles away from anyone in the mountains and lost a nut to hold the battery cable to the battery with. Luckily a zip tie held the negative cable tight enough that we could get under way and go find a new battery. We also found out we didn't have a wrench to fit the front axle bolt and nut. Now I carry a nice supply of tools in an old army mechanics bag. Even have a magnetic tray to put those pesky lil bolts and nuts in so as not to loose em. :) It is all trial and error and I am pretty sure your good to go. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1st trip -- after report

The trip went really well. No issues at all. The bike took 70-80 mile streches @ 60-65mph w/ no issues at all. US23 was cool 55 mph very twisty and too many great views to speak of.
Asheville NC to Huntington,WV (US 23)then onto Point Pleasant,WV(home of the Mothman Prophecy movie)the town I grew up in. I took the entire 340 miles in 7 hrs. Coming back I started in Parkersburg,WV and came back I-77(70 MPH not pleasant) to US119 to Pikeville(65 mph) and back US 23 the rest of the way.
I can not put into words the beauty of the mountains of WV,KY,VA,TN and NC... No good pics this trip but I will soon be adding a very good camera to my travel arsenal.

My speedo is off 10%(GPS) any way to adjust it ?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Cool Clayman thats great to hear all went well i have been thew bits of that country but not on a bike next time may be you will have that camera i hope to take me a trip soon down thew Arkansas:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts