Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted elsewhere but need many views...

#1 since i put 87 octane in my '99 has been running poorly at high speeds since. It did it before but worked its way out. I only run 91 or higher in since. However was dead low on gas in canada and all they had was 87. I spashed a gallon in to get me done the road and filled with 93.....that was over 600 miles ago.
It still runs poorly over 70 mph. it sometimes runs strong then when i open the throttle more it slows. Like there is only 3/4 throttle available even at Wide open. THen when i let off it runs well like its suppose to, then it will slow etc....
I had this problem when i first bought it and did not know that it runs best on high octane......but it fixed it self with a few tanks of the good stuff.
whats going on here????? Its driving me nuts..
#2 Also when the engine is cold and i crack the throttle the clutch slips and the rpms increase. when its warm it does not do this. what needs to be fixed here? new springs, plates both? It looks like one has to remove the entire right side cover to get at the plates etc? True?

I dont think that #2 is related to #1. #1 was a problem 2 years ago and i have not had a problem til i put this 87 octane in....

thanks..mks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bike is stock. has a supertrapp on it tho. has been a real strong runner and i mean less than 5 minutes after i put the 87 in it has begun toi run crappy at high speeds. You figure a jet is clogged from possible contamination in the gas too?
Before it run the same when i ran 87 on purpose. then one day pumps were plumb full except for the premium. i filled with that and its been running like a charm until now.
so frustrating....
any ideas on the clutch situation guys?
Thanks again....

·
Registered
22 Posts
uh huh... i knew it!! the canuks are out to git us. j/k it sounds like they may have sold u something other than gas . i remember in the late 80's fuel with a lot of alcohol would turn rubber parts ie; seals/ hoses into a black viscara like substance. try cleaning that out of a bosch k-jet, that will make ya want to buy a bicycle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts