Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy y'all. This is my first post on here. I just bought a 2000 KLR 650. The guy I bought it from just cleaned the carb and had it running just fine. I'm living out of town this summer for work and came back to town to mess around with the bike. It hasn't been started in about 3 weeks. I can get it to spark and crank but it won't start. I don't think the fuel is bad but I'm gonna do a better check today. This is my first bike so I'm kinda learning my way around troubleshooting stuff like this. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,816 Posts
Do you have a record of the last valve adjustment? A KLR can be temperamental after sitting for a bit. Is it trying to fire? Fuel valve open, kill switch off? Maybe hook a booster battery up to it for some more cranking umphhh.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Drain the carburetor & let some FRESHER gas into it. Sometimes its that simple with todays corn-squeezings.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,179 Posts
If what PDW recommends doesn’t work, squirt some starting fluid into the intake and see if it fires. If it does, then the carb needs cleaning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late reply, but starting fluid did the trick. Took sprayed it in through the air box while cycling the starter and feathering the throttle. Let it idle for about 10 minutes and it ran just fine. Had to come back to Dallas area for work and don't know when I'll be back so I doped the tank with some fuel stabilizer just to be safe. Thanks for the help y'all.

·
Premium Member
2013 KLR 650/692, 2017 HD Electraglide Ultra
1,179 Posts
Good to hear you got it back in service.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
and don't know when I'll be back so I doped the tank with some fuel stabilizer just to be safe. Thanks for the help y'all.
Fuel Stabilizer in already older fuel really doesn't help much at all. Hopefully you burned most of that tank full out & refilled with fresh, before stabilizing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ditto on Fresh fuel, then (not to be shilling for anyone specifically) but I have been a believer of Sea Foam for my motors for many years now (I have a quart bottle of stabil on my shelf - unopened)
It was a KLR lister (DSN group) years ago who shared the story of a roto tiller which had sat for years. It would barely run, and after making it sit and idle with sea foam for 15 mins it got remarkably better and ran well there after. I wont claim that it will solve a bad pilot jet or other dirty carb issues, but from a regular maintenance standpoint, I am a believer. My mower gas, my 700 Arctic cat efi sled, snowblower, my 400cc atv, chainsaw, trimmer, my 4.3lit IO Volvo Penta Glastron. all stay healthy with Sea foam. Remember, the gas we use got crappy some 15 years ago, and assuming in time it isn't going to wreak havoc on jets and rubber seals, etc is a bad assumption - Especially when off season storage is involved. Sea foam acts as a stabilizer as well. something worth trying. Credit - "Dooden"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts