Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

2001 KLR 650 stored 5 years outside in Ottawa with no prep

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  klr4evr 
#1 ·
Ive been a bad, bad man, and I need help. Only shut off the petcock before leaving this thing under a tarp.

You may be surprised that the spark, carb and airbox were clean. My problem is that the gas tank was fouled, and not knowing that rust or water could develop, I just drained old gas, filled up, and brought all kinds of hell to the carb, and had to clean it all anyway.

I ended up pouring gas in a cup, waited till particles settled, and manually poured into fuel line. Bike started and idled fine, with only some delay at higher RPM.

I put in an inline fuel filter which should take care of particles. Now the filter fills from a leaky petcock, even in the off position and the following problem when starting:

slow crank, engine fires and dies after 2 minutes, and next crank it turns to slow to start. Third start engine turns twice and no more. Only a ticking sound which I assume is the spark plug.

Is it now the battery dying from so many starts without riding, or is it an over supply / contamination of fuel?

Many thanks.. frustrating as I have never worked on a motorcycle before, and have to start with this messy stuff.

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, I should mention its a new battery, but will get it charged again and see what happens. Its had maybe 20-30 starts without moving anywhere, however shows good voltage, so threw me off.

I also wonder where members here go to buy parts? Dealer/mechanic vs order online?

#5 ·
Battery

Shows good voltage ( Until you start cranking ) I'm betting. Cranking draws much more current than just measuring with no drain on battery.
Measure while cranking, I bet you will see much lower voltage.

#4 ·
The motorcycle battery remains limited to 14 amp-hours or so. An automobile battery, in a car, offers unlimited starts ('cause it can be recharged in place by the car engine). Regardless, suit yourself, and good luck. If the bike runs, its alternator will charge the battery.

#7 ·
Great links, lots to learn. I charged the battery and changed oil (spilled in on my patio stones). I found lots of oil in the oil filter compartment, not sure if it should be there.

Anyway it cranks good and engine runs smooth, but still seems to be starving for fuel and I think its because of an inline fuel filter I put in. It says its for marine craft, and its pretty big, so its pinching the fuel lines. Small problem, and really glad engine seems to run alright when fuel is there..

G

#9 ·
KLR's don't normally have a fuel filter and I've heard of issues using one. Your filter may already be plugged. Did you empty out the contents of the fuel tank and shine a flashlight inside to see what it looks like. May be full of rust.

Actually your first lime of defence for the fuel is screens on the pickups attached to the fuel valve. They may be plugged. Have you tried switching it to the reserve position?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.