Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

So I've had the bike for about a month now and I figured it was about time to do an intro on here. A little about me, I'm Adam. I'm currently still in college and I'm double majoring in Engineering and Physics. In my spare time, I restore vehicles. Currently, I am restoring two Porsche 944's and I have restored the Mustang that I currently DD. My next project will either be restoring my uncle's CBR900 or turning one of these 944's into a drift car.

Last month, I finally pulled the trigger on the bike (2001 KLR650) when I made a round trip that took about 16 hours of driving. Luckilly, a friend let me borrow his Cayenne to pull a motorcycle trailer. I went from VA to just north of Pittsburg, PA, and back to VA.

Issues with the bike:
1. I knew the clutch cable was going bad when I test rode it, so I was able to convince the guy to lower his price, a lot. He wanted $2,000 but I somehow got him to go down to $1,550.
2. Paint on the plastic has faded some.
3. While driving home from PA, one of the straps somehow grabbed the foot shift lever and bent it... I have no clue how. I have since replaced it.

Perks:
1. The only mechanical issue so far has been how the already weak clutch cable gave out last week during 15° riding (I was freezing).
2. The bike has incredible low mileage... for now... I bought it at only 9659 miles. Remember, it's a 2001, so it has some age to it now.

Now, I'm curious how good of a deal I actually got. I've ridden dirt bikes for about 10 years, or half my life, so I may have jumped the gun and made an impulse decision. Let me know how good of a deal you guys think I got on it. Here's my financial breakdown (so far):
$1,550-buying bike
$152.41-gas for getting bike
$19.39-replacing foot shift lever
Total: $1,721.80
Now, if you include titling and registering the bike, replacing brake and clutch levers, new turn signal bulbs, and the clutch cable, I am currently at $1,899.09.

Thanks for letting me know guys. It's too late to redo it, but I'd still like to know how I did!

·
Premium Member
3,372 Posts
Welcome, I'd say you did very well though the used KLR market is area dependent to some degree. As a Gen1 fan, the '96-'07's are my favorite with the 2000 and 2001 being the top of the heap for coloring and the fact the 2001 was the last of the "built in Japan" bikes.

I have a 2000 and a 2001 and wouldn't trade either for a brand new KLR. I purchased my 2000 for $3,700.00 CAN a couple years ago but it was mint with only 577 miles on it......I'd buy it again for the same price in a heartbeat.

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Hey everyone!

So I've had the bike for about a month now and I figured it was about time to do an intro on here. A little about me, I'm Adam. I'm currently still in college and I'm double majoring in Engineering and Physics. In my spare time, I restore vehicles. Currently, I am restoring two Porsche 944's and I have restored the Mustang that I currently DD. My next project will either be restoring my uncle's CBR900 or turning one of these 944's into a drift car.

Last month, I finally pulled the trigger on the bike (2001 KLR650) when I made a round trip that took about 16 hours of driving. Luckilly, a friend let me borrow his Cayenne to pull a motorcycle trailer. I went from VA to just north of Pittsburg, PA, and back to VA.

Issues with the bike:
1. I knew the clutch cable was going bad when I test rode it, so I was able to convince the guy to lower his price, a lot. He wanted $2,000 but I somehow got him to go down to $1,550.
2. Paint on the plastic has faded some.
3. While driving home from PA, one of the straps somehow grabbed the foot shift lever and bent it... I have no clue how. I have since replaced it.

Perks:
1. The only mechanical issue so far has been how the already weak clutch cable gave out last week during 15° riding (I was freezing).
2. The bike has incredible low mileage... for now... I bought it at only 9659 miles. Remember, it's a 2001, so it has some age to it now.

Now, I'm curious how good of a deal I actually got. I've ridden dirt bikes for about 10 years, or half my life, so I may have jumped the gun and made an impulse decision. Let me know how good of a deal you guys think I got on it. Here's my financial breakdown (so far):
$1,550-buying bike
$152.41-gas for getting bike
$19.39-replacing foot shift lever
Total: $1,721.80
Now, if you include titling and registering the bike, replacing brake and clutch levers, new turn signal bulbs, and the clutch cable, I am currently at $1,899.09.

Thanks for letting me know guys. It's too late to redo it, but I'd still like to know how I did!
The cost of gas, the cable, the brake lever, title and registration don't matter. Someone next door could have bought the bike for $1,550. You got a 2001 with 10,000 miles for $1,550 and since miles affect the value of KLRs more than years, I think you got a very good deal.

·
Registered
5,803 Posts
INCREDIBLE!

First thread I ever saw where an inmate was SEARCHING for, "BUYER REMORSE!"

:)

(I HOPE this isn't a case of, "humble bragging!")

Motorcycle expenses, generally, are paid from, "discretionary income." Thus, no anguish need apply to money spent for entertainment/enjoyment.

Thus, my suggestion: ENJOY!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
INCREDIBLE!

First thread I ever saw where an inmate was SEARCHING for, "BUYER REMORSE!"

(I HOPE this isn't a case of, "humble bragging!")

Motorcycle expenses, generally, are paid from, "discretionary income." Thus, no anguish need apply to money spent for entertainment/enjoyment.

Thus, my suggestion: ENJOY! :)
You got that right. Especially once it's a DONE DEAL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the opinions guys! I really was just looking for some verification that it wasn't a bad deal since I had rushed into it. Sorry if anyone took it as some humble bragging though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts