Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
lol

no specs, ya need a mechanic
And you Wonder WHY we did not / do not welcome you with 'open arms'?

Sorry Grant, but you need to be able to show the proof for your statements.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Will you not even offer a minimum operating AC Voltage, at cranking speeds with a Peak Voltage Adapter installed, for the pick-up coil from your own personal 'experience' / notes?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sure Paul i can do that

if memory serves, and its been a while

peak volts while cranking are is follows

trigger coil 3-6 peak volts
Charge coil 30 peak volts +/-
CDI output to primary ignition coil windings - 300 peak volts (which is why CDI ignitions can be dangerous if you discharge the capacitor across your heart through your arms to ground). The input TO the ignition coil primary is indicative of the 30,000 volt secondary ignition coil output to the spark plug

The snowmobile/watercraft industry used peak volts for years and years to test ignitions. Which is where my experience started, I just adapted the superior testing procedure to work on bikes. The snowmobile industry does have specs on the output of these pieces and could be easily looked up for say a 1994 arctic cat wildcat or the like. And the SPECS would be very similar. With the DYNAMIC testing, the faulty unit jumps off the page at ya usually, being drastically different than expected values.

this is always a parallel connection never series

Kawasaki has its very OWN adapter seen here I could possibly even find you a # if the one on the face of the unit doesnt work
iirc this has to be used on an ANALOG METER, not digital

hope this info helps, and if you want more specifics I'd be happy to dig out some of my old "CATMASTER" books (if i can find them) to see if my memory serves me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
And you Wonder WHY we did not / do not welcome you with 'open arms'?

Sorry Grant, but you need to be able to show the proof for your statements.
I don't actually NEED to show you any proof. You'd just like me to, and you're welcome to not believe me. I will normally share if approached the right way.

Some things i'm not willing to prove or share the theory for. That's my right and its your right to NOT believe me. I also have a right to not be harassed for it.

I started sharing without being asked in the beginning when i first arrived and was laughed at and ganged up on and belittled for months and months, some would even call it harassment.. I'm a grown man. Any grown man would start firing back i'm sure under those circumstances.

BUT

Mutual respect would go a long way here. I'm willing to give it a go.

Was i an angel here? NO, not by a long shot. but when I FIRST arrived my intentions were to SHARE my experience. I was quickly ganged up on (5+-1) and made a laughing stock. Did i deserve some of what I got, sure i did in the end, but it went way too far on AL:L accounts. Could i have approached it better? sure. I actually started my step by step KLR journey in the "welcome" area as a timeline for my own use. Then i realized just how bad the KLR ran. Worse than any bike in history coming straight out of the factory.

All water under the bridge now. Lets just move on. I'm allowed to make a mistake here n there without having my nose rubbed in it. I'll return in kind.

Hope the info supplied helps troubleshooting CDI ignitions, it really does take nearly ALL the guess work out of it. if not all of it completely.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Some info out of an arctic cat service manual, appears my memory is off a bit . there are tool part #'s listed as well. The techniques can easily be adapted for use on the Gen 1 KLR or any CDI ignition. (of which there are two types). In this instance the peak voltage TO the ignition coil is all that is given, obviously this would show that the CDI is getting enough voltage from the charge coil to the CDI if the CDI is putting enough voltage to the IGNITION coil . Testing two devices at once. If you work the information back wards the charge coil in this case should put out 25-37 dc peak volts

·
Registered
45 Posts
when i get a Gen 1, and i will, i'm going to make a video on it. There doesn't appear to be a lot of resources on the subject. Not good ones any ways.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts