Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My 2006 KLR 650 just died while I was riding. It will turn over so battery is good. The tank is more than half full. The fuel is turned to ON. What is going on? Help!!

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Could be . . . vacuum line between carb and petcock is disconnected.

Verify fuel flow from tank to carb (my recommendation).

Purge float bowl, insuring righteous fuel available.

Beyond that . . . a, "NO START" check list exists somewhere (in a Clymer service manual, I think; maybe in the Kawasaki one also)..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after attaching the vacuum hose it only ran for a few more seconds. I've nearly done the entire trouble shooting list, other than removing the carb and tearing it apart.
I get spark, I get fuel to the carb, but it just isn't starting for more than a few seconds.

·
Registered
241 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh please let there be a video. I think the previous owner by passed the kickstand switch but maybe it's somehow come undone.

·
Threadjacker
6,768 Posts
I love easy solutions. Worth a try. Leave the gas cap open. If it's not venting, it can cause the bike to die once started.

Reactions: gruet782

·
Registered
241 Posts
I love easy solutions. Worth a try. Leave the gas cap open. If it's not venting, it can cause the bike to die once started.
If you tied Lockjaw's idea, I'm lost...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well after attaching the vacuum hose it only ran for a few more seconds. I've nearly done the entire trouble shooting list, other than removing the carb and tearing it apart.
I get spark, I get fuel to the carb, but it just isn't starting for more than a few seconds.
I went through something similar today...after checking the tank venting, petcock, and carb lines I removed the carb. Took it apart and found debris in the float bowl and main jet (mine ran ok til about 3000rpm then coughed and sputtered).

It wasn't hard to take it apart and put it back together...It's worth doing.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
The, "Carb Overhaul" video series on this very website might be helpful . . .

Symptoms sound like possible fuel starvation; possible petcock problem. Might disconnect fuel line, apply suction to petcock-to-carburetor hose, see if fuel flows freely . . .

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Starts and runs for a few seconds and it started when your vacuum line came off the petcock doesn't sound like a spark problem.
Check the other end of the vacuum line.
Try a couple of shots of starter fluid in the air intake.
Connect a long hose full of gas to the the fuel line and hold it higher than the carb as a test.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar experience a few years ago with my 07.. turned out to be the float valve needle in the carb. The rubber cone gets affected by the ethanol in gasoline. You likely cannot see anything wrong with it. Bought one and changed it out. Soaked the carb with pine sol to clean it while I had it apart.
Problem aolved.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I also find that many carbs, in recent years, have chalky deposits which restrict the air bleed holes in the emulsion tubes and restrict the movement of the needle valve. It often requires physical removal by a wooden skewer or jet drill.

I had a similar experience a few years ago with my 07.. turned out to be the float valve needle in the carb. The rubber cone gets affected by the ethanol in gasoline. You likely cannot see anything wrong with it. Bought one and changed it out. Soaked the carb with pine sol to clean it while I had it apart.
Problem aolved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ethanol in gas has similar effects on different metals, especially brass.. check for any brass parts first, and fresh gas that didn't sit over the winter helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had similar

My KLR did the same exact thing; would start but die as soon as I put it in gear. It was not the kickstand switch, but I happened to follow the kickstand wires up and about one foot above the kickstand the wire was totally frayed where you really couldn't see it under the bike. Cut the wire there and spliced new ones in and the circuit was restored and it worked again. Make sure the kickstand is up when you put it into gear, don't ask me how I know.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts