Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm an electrical idiot. I recently threw a chain on my '06 KLR. No real damage except that the chain shredded the wiring going to my starter circuit relay. The relay has two yellow (red stripe), one black, and one blue wires. The only wiring diagram I could (1995 KLR) find shows the two yellow wires coming from the relay merging into one and then on to the handlebar switches. Of course I have two yellow wires coming from my relay, but I don't see any evidence that they ever merged, as there are two yellow wires in the wire group that is wrapped up by tape. Do the yellow wires merge somewhere else? Maybe further up along the group? Does it matter? Could someone provide me a link to a better wiring diagram?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I'm an electrical idiot. I recently threw a chain on my '06 KLR. No real damage except that the chain shredded the wiring going to my starter circuit relay. The relay has two yellow (red stripe), one black, and one blue wires. The only wiring diagram I could (1995 KLR) find shows the two yellow wires coming from the relay merging into one and then on to the handlebar switches. Of course I have two yellow wires coming from my relay, but I don't see any evidence that they ever merged, as there are two yellow wires in the wire group that is wrapped up by tape. Do the yellow wires merge somewhere else? Maybe further up along the group? Does it matter? Could someone provide me a link to a better wiring diagram?

Thanks!
Your wiring diagram is good.
The two yellow/red do join farther up in the harness. Since they are joined they both do the same thing. If you disconnect them from the starter circuit relay and press the start button with the key on, they should both show 12 volts while the button is pushed.

If both don't show 12 volts, you need to cut back into the harness to find where they have become disconnected and fix it. I have not had to do this, but there is no reason for the join to be more than a few inches from the ends of the wires because they don't go any place else. It may be a simple crimp connection (not soldered) with a little strip of metal crimped around bare spots on the wires which can easily be pulled apart if the wires were jerked on.

Now I see at the bottom of Damocles' post above the you have solved the problem. What was it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts