Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
Just found the forum when my battery gave out and i was looking for replacements. I found it very informative. I took someones advice and bought a sealed battery. I have owned three kawasaki Dual sport bikes. My first was a 1974 KE100. The second was a 1986 KL250 I rode in college while working as a agricultural field inspector. I spent so much time on that bike that when i graduated and got a job i did not ride for several years and i gave the bike to a cousin.

Many years later I got to wanting to ride again and finally bought the 650 KLR. I only put about 800 miles on it in two years mainly riding dirt roads and rural highways in south georgia. I moved to down town Atlanta 6 months ago and decided to bring it up to ride around town on instead of a fullsize pickup.

I am getting a little more sure about riding in traffic. I even braved I-75 traffic in the rain Sunday night. That will teach me to go too far afield without checking the weather forcast. At least it was 95 degrees so I didn't freeze since I did not take any rain gear. I am liking the bike more as I ride. I find that it is a little rough at 70 mph on the interstate. It cruises better at 50 to 60 mph but that may just be the original tires.

There are some interesting ideas on this site which are making me consider accessories and modifications. We'll see!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
hey man. Glad to have another atlanta guy on the scene. I picked up my 2005 KLR a couple months ago. It has been a real gas saver, and a blast to ride. Like yourself, I was a little apprehensive about riding on the highway, but I found that after a month and a few trips down I-75 at about 70mph, you get use to it and it isn't so bad. I mainly drive sidestreets, though. I just replaced the stock tires last week. I went with the Avon Distanzia's. So far, they stick to the road like glue. Great handling and the road noise went down considerably. I did A LOT of research and asked the opinion of quite a few people, and I didn't get one consistent recommendation. Everybody had their own opinion on which tires they like, and they are all right in their own respect. I don't do too much off roading, (but I plan to do more when I find good places to ride), and I wanted a tire that would be great on wet and dry pavement with good off road capability. I found that tires are where a vehicle meets the road, so you want to get the tires that most suit the purpose you will be using the bike for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts