Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, this is my first post and first motorcycle. I bought a 2007 from the police auction for 1500 bucks it has 11k miles and in decent shape other than the key tumblers being busted(ordered ignition tumbler its on its way).
While trying to get her fired up I hooked up my battery charger to it directly and I think after that point it stopped using the start button to crank. I went and bought the right battery for it, but now ever time I connect the battery terminal it starts cranking. I decided to stop tinkering with it until the key tumbler comes in.
Could this be a key issue or did I fry something connecting the charger to it directly?

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I think, that either the starter Button on the RH handlebar control pod or the low amp starter button Relay (below the High amp starter relay) are stuck closed.

Or it could be a stuck High Amp starter relay stuck closed behind the long black plastic panel near the fuel valve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And here’s my bike you think I over paid? Cost me 1500 so far
it’s got all the body bits I just took them off to clean her up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The button didn’t feel stuck, and I looked around the radiator and found a fuse case with an extra fuse in it but it was not burnt out. You think it might be the drilled out ignition key? Or that I connected the negative before the positive?

·
Registered
678 Posts
That’s a rat’s nest of added on wiring. How are you at electrical troubleshooting? Know how to use a volt-ohm-meter?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for a second I thought about the rat that made a nest in my tundras intake and ate the injector wires. XD

That’s what I thought as well.
Not too good at electronics but I can read a schematic.
I don’t want to have to take everything apart following wires though.
the crimped wires are black with yellow stripe, don’t know where the red is going.
Then there’s the brown wire.
its a Mess

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bike is a stolen recovery so maybe the thief might have rigged it somehow.
it also sat for a considerable amount of time till the mechanics Lien cleared I am assuming.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That wiring is clearly a mess. I suggest you clean it up and get it back to OEM configuration before doing much more (battery's in there backward, it appears). Maybe someone on here can snap a photo of a Gen I for reference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Looks like there are some aftermarket lights mounted under the front turn signal in your picture?? Does it have a 12v power socket or USB port wired in? Just throwing those out there for sources of your mystery wiring.

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
I think, that either the starter Button on the RH handlebar control pod or the low amp starter button Relay (below the High amp starter relay) are stuck closed.

Or it could be a stuck High Amp starter relay stuck closed behind the long black plastic panel near the fuel valve.
Sorry I made an error earlier. Note the correction.

Both low amp & High Amp starter relays are under that 6" tall black plastic panel on the LH side of the bike. The battery positive Cable goes to the High Amp relay. The low amp relay is in the round black rubber holster underneath the High Amp relay & behind the sidestand safety switch.

The button didn’t feel stuck, and I looked around the radiator and found a fuse case with an extra fuse in it but it was not burnt out.
My confusion came from fact that the cooling fan relay near the coolant recovery reservoir can be temporarily 'traded' with the low amp starter relay for testing purposes. And that was the cooling fan fuse that you found near the coolant reservoir.

OK, you know where the parts are. Disconnect the wires from the black round low amp starter relay. Then turn the key on. Does the starter motor still turn?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on wires-
Got my ignition and key in, went to install it and came across two more spliced wires

Is the black connector the ignition?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts