1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Topic starter

2007 KLR Problem
« on: Today at 08:25:43 AM » Quote Modify Remove

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys

I need help to get my KLR650 running again. This morning i decided to do some work to the bike.
Its a 2007 KLR 650 with 9800 kilos on her.

I changed the oil, oil filter, cleaned air filter, changed the spark plug and lubed the chain. The started fine and rode bike to bike shop to warm the chain so in could apply some chain wax. On leaving bike shop, the bike would not start without full choke and when i left shop it would splutter and not rev. Then bike came right and hit the highway and bike rode well till i had to shut off, it was popping and back firing, then pulled up at the lights she died and would not start without the choke fully engaged.

Now the bike wont start but only using the choke. The choke must be all the way out and then she will fired and idle high, but as soon as you move the choke the bike dies. Which tells me its a fuel problem.

So i removed carb to check jets and its as clean as a whistle. Next stop fuel tap, clean and checked that vacuum was working by taking off the pipe from the carb and sucked and the fuel flows freely from the tap. The pipes cant be on the wrong way as they are different size pipes for vacuum and fuel. I have checked pipes that there are no kinks and removed pipes and checked that there are no holes or leaks.

I tried again this morning, changed the spark plug back to the old one, still no luck. Secondly filled bottle with petrol and blocked vacuum line. Still wont start except with choke. So started bike with choke and let it idle a 3000 rpm till warm, then turned idle screw all the way in and turned off the choke, bike barely idles and very rough at 1500 rpm. Took off air filter,still wont idle with out choke fully engaged.

When bike was idling, with choke and or idle screw fully turned in, if u blip the throttle, the bike splutters and back fires then dies. I can only think its fuel related, removed the carb and and checked, no dirt in carb will take to work tomorrow and remove all jets and blow clean with compressed air and try again.

Any other thoughts guys?

Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes run very well. I checked everything i touched and all i was ok, so my guess its dirt from the air filter that has gotten into a jet or passage. Will try cleaning it and then try again.

·
Premium Member
4,751 Posts
If it ran before, it's got to be something that you did or maybe bumped during the service. If you took the tank off to change the plug, I'd check your vacuum lines to the petcock to verify that they're on and the carb is getting all the gas it needs.. If one is kinked it's only getting partial vacuum and only allowing part of the fuel needed to the carb. That would keep it from actually reving, and with the choke on, you're limiting air, which would explain why it's only running with it on.

Just a thought..

Anyway, take your time and give everything a good once over. It's bound to be something simple if it was running fine before..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i went through everything 3 times, no kinks in pipes, fuel tap works, vacuum works to carb, vacuum operates fuel tap, changed spark plug back to original, took off air filter in case i over oiled filter, still no joy. But after i did service it ran ok for a while like 2 miles then it started when i stopped and restarted to go home so i guess its got something to do with fuel. blocke jet or something

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
With the limited information given, and the handicap of not being able to hear, touch or smell whats going on on your end, I can only venture a guess. And my guess is that you have some kind of slow jet / pilot blockage. It only takes one hiccup to blast carbon back into the carburetor. Any change in the air filter system could cause that, as well as simply removing and re-installing the gas tank.

Here is a link to a thread where a similar issue was addressed. It may fit your situation.

http://www.klrforum.com/showpost.php?p=63364&postcount=3

Keep us posted on your progress.

·
Registered
517 Posts
You pulled the pilot jet and poked holes through all the holes on the pilot jet? The pilot jet let's the bike idle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well today i decided to recheck the carb and go to one of my friends body shop to use their compressed air supply to blow al the passages out.

I stripped the carb down to the nothing and started with every passage with air and then carb cleaner. When i got to the idle jet i noticed something that i had not seen before. The idle jet has holes around it circumference and thought thats how the fuel was metered out to the idle circuit. Little did i know that there is one down the centre of the jet as well.On closer inspection i found that you could not see down the middle of the jet and decided to use lots of carb cleaner and air to checked if there was something stuck there. Well lo and behold after some time i could see throught the jet again.

My only thought is either something got dislodged when i cleaned the air filter or when it back fired something shot back into the carb. Well now the carb is all over. Now just to put it back together again when i am finished work and try and see if that has resolved the problem.

Thanks to all for the ideas and thoughts of what the problem could be.
I will keep you posted on what has happens

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its alive Igor :thumleft:

Fitted the carb made sure that all hoses and cables are routed correctly, carb clamps fitted, had to jump the battery as i had drained it trying for 2 days to get it to start.

Used the choke, bike took a few turns to start with no fuel in carbthen fired and then ran at 3000rpm. I adjusted the idle screw till i could take bike off the choke. Let the bike warm up till operating temp and then adjusted idle to around 1100. She is now purring like a kitten. Blip the throttle and she does not die or splutter or back fire.

Now just waiting for battery to fully charge then to take her for a test ride.

To everyone who helped, thanks at least i got her sorted and now know to check the jets more carefully next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts