Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I had a real nice 96 model klr with all the original plastic, blue/green sort of. It was beautiful and I’m
Sorry I ever sold it. I put the klx jet kit on it and a muffler. It really woke the bike up.
So , I have a line on a very clean 07 model that I am going to
Look at tomorrow. How were the 07s on oil burning and any thing else for that year to look at?

Mike in Midland

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the doo has been done so good deal. Thermobob is a needful thing I guess. I will see it tomorrow and post a picture if I buy it..

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
You’ve owned one before so you’ve a good idea if it’s a sound bike and decently priced. Remember if it’s not what you’re looking for pass, there are many KLR’s on the used market and winter is a good time for finding the one that floats your boat. Look forward to having you on the forum.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess no pics till 15 posts. Spent the day going over some stuff on the bike, cleaning up threds with a 6mm tap and an 8mm. Also swapped out some catch-can bolts and nuts with
some pretty new bolts and nuts.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the links, I knew about some of them but not all.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The PO has installed the doo, and the Manuel choke. I believe it also has klx needle. It runs very well. It has the Shinko 244 knobies.
The tires are not to my liking and will likely mount some Shinko 705 s bear as they are to mount. More to come.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What does the collective think about my sprockets, maybe a tad of shark tooth on the front? Back looks ok
I think.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
It looks like a new chain and sprockets will be on the to do list soon.
Nice motorcycle. What is the odometer reading?

Terry

·
Banned
67 Posts
Nice Nice bike

Change the front sprocket before it wears out the chain and rear sprocket. If you're a hiway guy maybe think 16 tooth?

In and ideal world you change the front sprocket 2-3x for every chain and rear Sprkt. The front is roughtly 1/3 the size of the rear so it wears 3x faster.

What does the collective think about my sprockets, maybe a tad of shark tooth on the front? Back looks ok
I think.

·
Premium Member
7,024 Posts
I think.
I'll suggest that the original chain & sprocket sets can pretty easily run 20,000 miles as long as the chain is kept Loose Enough to lift the lower run UP to just touch the rear tip of the rubber underslider.

Over-tensioning the drive chain is probably #1 mis-maintenance item. Followed immediately by Over-Tightening the oil drain plug.

Have you read this yet? https://www.klrforum.com/introductions/58921-dpelletiers-common-new-klr-owner-mistakes-avoid.html

Reactions: JTCrow

·
Registered
88 Posts
Holy smokes that is a nice 2007, excellent job. Those plastics are so nice it would be a shame to put the bike down without some kind of protection of the plastics and radiator and a good skidplate, too.

It looks like the PO had racks on there that he took off, the blinkers are relocated.

I don't know what your plans are for the bike but if it were me, i'd first go out and get some crash protection like I said and I'd also do the 320 rotor and SV caliper upgrade on the front. Some people like to spend money "refining" these pigs and some don't. But I can tell you if you spend the money on the SV caliper upgrade you will not regret doing it. The stock front brake setup is scary.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
20,000 miles as long as the chain is kept Loose

Agreed, and less stress on the output bearing and seal. 16 t sprocket on the way!
Just for sharing, a pic of my old 96 model I owned back in 2012.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts