Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2008 KLR last year in the summer of 2008 from the manager of a local Kawasaki dealership, it was an early release model with less than 5000K on it. I drove the bike for about 2k before it became very apparent I was burning oil. At first I got the run around from Kawy that it was normal, then I huffed and puffed and they agreed it wasn’t. Kawasaki agreed to do the ring fix on the bike and when winter came my local shop (still 380k away) honed the cylinder and replaced the rings.
This year I started riding in June. I put another 3000k on the bike before I had the same trouble again. Burning oil. On a 400k ride at no more than 120k she burnt 600ml. I find this excessive. My local dealer agreed to contact Kawy again and I contacted them myself. Kawasaki says that they will pay for the tear down but if they don’t find anything wrong I will have to pay.

Note: Kawasaki pays set amounts for warranty work at set rates. My local shop would charge me their actual time and much higher rates to do the same job..so, it is in the shops best interest not to find anything wrong and have me pay for it.

Note: This is the same shop that charges me 1 hour per tire at a shop rate of 100 dollars to change and balance.
I don’t think they checked the cylinder on the original tear down, they just honed it and changed the rings. I believe that I have a cylinder that is out of round or is imperfect in some way thus trashing the rings after a few thousand K’s.

So my dilemma becomes:

1. Have the original dealership that I have little faith in do the work on my bike and hope they find the problem and have Kawasaki replace the cylinder and rings. (still involves a 4 hour drive each way and leaving my bike there for them to “get to” and machine

2. Driving to the next closest Kawasaki dealership to get the work done (involves a 7 hour drive an overnight and then x2 to retrieve the machine)

3. Overbore the cylinder to the 685. Do the work myself in the shop and send the cylinder out to a reputable machine shop. Note: I’m not a mechanic nor have I ever attempted such a major tear down on my own.

Anyone with comments, advice or suggestions, I would appreciate hearing from.

I just want a bike that runs the way it’s supposed to without burning oil.

I have been considering a dynojet kit and an aftermarket exhaust as well and if I'm tearing down anyway this winter I was thinking about doing it all at once. I do become concerned that this my compound some of my problems.

DC

·
Administrator
8,493 Posts
captain_dc -

If I were in your shoes I'd simply cut to the chase and do the 685. Going with another Kawi fix is probably throwing good money after bad.

Don't know where you live, but there may be a local available for help (although it sounds like you live in East Snowshoe), or at least rely on the board for a walk-through.

Tom

·
Registered
990 Posts

An average wrench with a Clymer manual can handle the job without any trouble. One tip that the manual forgets is to check your valves before tear down so that you can shim to spec without double work on the way back together.

I think it takes longer to get the fairing off than to pull the top end..not a difficult job.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice. Pretty much the way I was leaning. FYI, I live in Fort Nelson B.C. Canadan. No lemon law here.

Anybody with sugestions for machine shops in Alberta/BC/ Yukon/ Alaska??

·
Administrator
8,493 Posts
PM sent...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Change the oil? Realy?.......

Sorry, no, I've tried several oils recomended by different sources...nothing seems to work, if it worked for you...great! I would be concerned that with further wear you will have the same isues I am.

I apolagize for the sarcasm....but that is one of the first things I did.

DC

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Pretty much the way I was leaning. FYI, I live in Fort Nelson B.C. Canadan. No lemon law here.

Anybody with sugestions for machine shops in Alberta/BC/ Yukon/ Alaska??
All KLRs have a 1 year unlimited mile warranty... And besides, the early '08s were known to have ring issues and quite a few have gone back for ring replacement under warranty, so there is precedence. When did your warranty end?

BTW- if I were running a shop and someone pays me a couple hundred to change and balance tires, I'd try to extract as much as I possibly could. Sounds like they see you coming......:18: What's wrong with changing your own? Easy peasy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In the original post:
1. They already did the ring replacement fix.
2. It was an early release and is no longer on waranty
3. It's not like I was at home and decided to drive 4 hours to go to the Kawasaki dealership to have them change my tires. I was in town and needed a change, no tire irons or real tools on me, so I figured hey, get them to do the swap...shouldn't cost more then 50 a tire.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The 685 upgrade is a significant improvement to the bike. (More power, smoother, slightly less mpg.)
I spent $600us including $300 labor.
I agree with the advice about not bothering with the dealer unless you want a continuing headache.
The 685 is well worth it. If you like the bike now you'll really like it with a 685.

I overheated the engine on my 06' because the fan fuse blew and I wasn't paying attention. Warped the cylinder. Went' from using zero oil to a quart every 300 miles.
Bike still ran good. Put another 3000 miles on the bike before I got a chance to repair it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts