Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 is sucking air where the choke screws into the carbi, I can't find anything fit it so I'm going to bend a spanner.
Does anyone know what size that plastic nut is?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
12 mm. A struggle, given the cramped space you have to work on it with carb mounted.

Some have used bent-tip long-nosed pliers successfully for turning the plastic nut.

I've thought of using a crow's-foot wrench on the annoying little fastener, but never any success with that scheme. I've found, finger-aligning (while pulling the epidermis off my finger tips) a painful but sometimes necessary procedure for installing the nut correctly.

Check for cross-threading, cracked plastic.

Steadman replacement metal nuts are 1/2" hex, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
I use a 12mm crow foot on a 6 or 8 inch 3/8" drive extension to loosen & re-snug the plastic nut. But its 2 fingertips only to initially start the threads.

I like the fact that the plastic nut CAN NOT damage the carburetor threads. 2002 Arctic Cat 400 ATV's use the same plastic nut, less $$, part # 5507-025.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
12 mm. A struggle, given the cramped space you have to work on it with carb mounted.

Some have used bent-tip long-nosed pliers successfully for turning the plastic nut.

I've thought of using a crow's-foot wrench on the annoying little fastener, but never any success with that scheme. I've found, finger-aligning (while pulling the epidermis off my finger tips) a painful but sometimes necessary procedure for installing the nut correctly.

Check for cross-threading, cracked plastic.

Steadman replacement metal nuts are 1/2" hex, IIRC.
Great thanks. Got the little sucker tight, all good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use a 12mm crow foot on a 6 or 8 inch 3/8" drive extension to loosen & re-snug the plastic nut. But its 2 fingertips only to initially start the threads.

I like the fact that the plastic nut CAN NOT damage the carburetor threads. 2002 Arctic Cat 400 ATV's use the same plastic nut, less $$, part # 5507-025.
Thanks. Got it done

1 - 5 of 5 Posts