Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, my son is in Northern Alberta and lost his keys to his 2008klr. The dealer told him he'd have to drill out his key switch and take it to a lock smith. Does anyone know if his vin number would allow him to order his keys from a more helpful dealer? And what does he have to do to get his key switch off? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Don't mess with the ignition. BTW the ignition is fastened with small bolts.

Have a key made for the fuel tank cap or the helmet lock. They are the same as the ignition.

Don't trust the person that was contacted.

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
Removing the ignition switch is no easy task. The bolts that hold it in have heads that shear off when they are tightened therefore the necessity to drill it out. Being located in the upper part of the triple, in order to drill it you would probably have to remove it from the bike. Not fun.

Does he have a spare key somewhere? I suppose he already thought of that and if not is kicking himself.

The locksmith is really the only alternative. Removing the helmet lock and taking it somewhere is probably the easiest.

You don't say his location but I am assuming Fort Mac. If it is of any help and he has no success there, he could mail the lock to me and I could see if someone in Edmonton can do something with it. Let me know first so I can make a few calls and see if I can find someone to do it.

I'm not sure about getting a key with a VIN number. I think you need the number that is stamped on the key itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Removing the ignition switch is no easy task. The bolts that hold it in have heads that shear off when they are tightened therefore the necessity to drill it out. Being located in the upper part of the triple, in order to drill it you would probably have to remove it from the bike. Not fun.

Does he have a spare key somewhere? I suppose he already thought of that and if not is kicking himself.

The locksmith is really the only alternative. Removing the helmet lock and taking it somewhere is probably the easiest.

You don't say his location but I am assuming Fort Mac. If it is of any help and he has no success there, he could mail the lock to me and I could see if someone in Edmonton can do something with it. Let me know first so I can make a few calls and see if I can find someone to do it.

I'm not sure about getting a key with a VIN number. I think you need the number that is stamped on the key itself.
You think the helmet lock tumblers would be the same as the ignition? That would make this a lot easier!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW, my boy is in Grande Praire

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
You think the helmet lock tumblers would be the same as the ignition? That would make this a lot easier!
That's actually a good question. I assumed because the same key opens that lock it would be a good mold. Now thinking about it the helmet lock probably isn't too sophisticated so it may not work.

Same may apply to the gas cap. Seems to me the key doesn't go into the gas cap as far as the ignition so that may not be an option either,

Not a good situation. The lesson I am getting form this is make sure you have an extra key. I will be checking to confirm I have mine.

Grande Prairie is a fairly big centre. I would think there would be some type of locksmith there. May have to get a key blank from the dealer though.

·
Administrator
3,564 Posts
For your info there is a guy in Ontario who is parting a 2008. He has the complete lock sets; ignition, gas and helmet, with two keys for $60 plus shipping.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If he has the number code stamped on his key then a locksmith or Kawasaki can make a key without fooling around with the bike at all.
I'd be guessing that if he calls Kawasaki he could have them make and ship a key or at the very least get the key code for him. Hopefully he has the code written down somewhere.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If there was a previous owner to the 2008, Check page 24 of the owner's manual and see if they wrote down the key code number in the provided space. Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts