Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a rear trunk and saddlebags for my 2008. Does anyone have any suggestions? Kawi's stuff is backordered and no one knows when it will start to ship.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're looking for hard panniers, I'd highly recommend the Targhee set by Happy Trails (http://www.happy-trail.com). Right now their website references the Owyhee and Teton types for the '08 KLR, but after speaking with Tim, the owner, the other day. . .he said that the Targhees fit the '08 just right. The Owyhee and Teton types are essentially straight panniers, while the Targhees provide some additional storage by curving inward at the bottom of the pannier. I've got a black powder-coat set on order and will post some pics as soon as I have them installed.

·
Registered
603 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
ebay has em

·
Registered
704 Posts
I wanted a small, 'round town tailbag and don't like tank bags. Settled on the smallest Nelson-Rigg. Perfect size for the OEM rack. About $50. Will work fine for what I want right now, but not for a long haul.

I rarely publicly downgrade an item, but the OEM Kawi side bags seem really lightweight and flimsy. The talibag seemed a little more substantial but not much. They were at the dealers and mounted on a showroom 08.

edit - But they looked great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i just got a pair of Moto Pak GTS-90 soft bags and really like their looks. haven't had a chance to use them yet but the design and construction appears excellent. versatile enough for a klr and a zrx. made in canada. check out their web page www.motopakluggage.com

·
Registered
704 Posts
This thread brings to mind -- has anyone chopped the front of the rack (passenger handholds?) so that soft bags could fit better? I'm going to get a set of soft bags before next spring, but looks like just about any mounting situation will be pretty clumsy.

Relocating the rear turn signals per a recent thread will be a big help.

I haven't searched this, so my question may be redundant. If so, would someone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Big? Give me a few days to photograph the set up my buddy did on his 05 for a set of soft bags. We are the ones that did the turn signal relocation and I think his setup will work great. The bags will be mounted permanent, no straps or anything. Will try to get a write up and some good pics.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That taillight relocation is great. And you documented it so well. Good work. Looking forward to seeing your bag mounting project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard panniers

I just made some of my own useing 20mm Ammo cans panted with hammerd Krylon and mounted them to a SW moto rack and they are great you cant hurtthem off road and they are water proof.:16a:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts