Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an all stock 2009 with 2700 miles on it. It is A USA bike with California EM .When riding and I let of the gas it pop or back fires two or three times.,. what is wrong with it?

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
The gen2 KLRs (2008 and newer) have an automatic air injection system at the head that introduces some fresh air into the exhaust chamber in the head during throttle closed deceleration. This will cause some popping on deceleration (sounds a little like a Harley -just a little).

A leak in the exhaust system can cause backfiring. Check the bolts where the header pipe connects to the head and where the pipe pipe clamps to the muffler.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Technically, popping out the muffler is an 'After-Fire'. A 'Back-fire' is back thru the carb & air filter.

And I'll vote for a missing nut on the header pipe and a bad gasket because of the missing nut.

Reactions: PaddyD

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just bought an all stock 2009 with 2700 miles on it. It is A USA bike with California EM .When riding and I let of the gas it pop or back fires two or three times.,. what is wrong with it?
I bought a 2009 with 2700 miles on it in April. When I was shopping around I came across several 09's with low mileage. Strange coincidence I suppose. I have the same pop on deceleration from air intake system. Bike runs great

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you plug the hose that the air induction system gets it’s fresh air from you will no longer have any deceleration popping. I just did it to my bike. It’s only purpose is to make the bike emissions legal at the tail pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts