Kawasaki KLR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Peru right now and bike has been burning more than usual oil for last 3 weeks or so. It has 23k on it now and I use 20w-50. I've put oil to upper line on the window and about 200 miles later it was at lower line. I change oil and filter every 3-4k miles. Last time I changed it was in Venezuela and I'm still using some of their oil, Cark brand. Since that oil change bike was running great for next 2 months through Venezuela and Colombia and it seem like it was actually burning less than for previous 7 months on this trip through Central and South America. I've been riding more at higher altitude lately through Ecuador and Peru. Not sure if that might be reason? Should I switch to different viscosity? I stick mainly along the coast where it's pleasant summer temperature. Every 4-5 days I go up the mountains for few days where it's cooler (but not freezing cold) at about 3000-4000 meters altitude.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Renimus,
We can only guess, that you know how to properly Re-Oil the Foam Air Filter Element, after properly cleaning and drying.

Other than dust/dirt thru the air filter, rapidly wearing the cylinder and piston rings, do you think maybe LOW Octane fuel might have caused enough detonation in the combustion chamber to fracture the ring LANDS on the piston?

My best estimate is 20 ounces in 200 miles. Yes, That's a Lot!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Renimus,
We can only guess, that you know how to properly Re-Oil the Foam Air Filter Element, after properly cleaning and drying.

Other than dust/dirt thru the air filter, rapidly wearing the cylinder and piston rings, do you think maybe LOW Octane fuel might have caused enough detonation in the combustion chamber to fracture the ring LANDS on the piston?

My best estimate is 20 ounces in 200 miles. Yes, That's a Lot!

Now you have me worried. I've cleaned air filter some 4k miles ago. I've used warm water and soap to clean it and let it dry well. After, since I lacked proper oil, I've used engine oil to oil the filter. I haven't check it since than. I'll check it first thing tomorrow morning. I really hope cylinder and piston rings are not the issue here.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
My '09 uses 1/2 quart between oil changes.

I drive it HARD at times and never really babied it from 20 miles up to the
current 15,000 miles (22,000kms). If you are climbing mountain
roads the full throttle uphill runs would likely make any motor let oil past
the rings. Plus, the oil burning issue of generation 2s is well known.
Even that being said, I think Kaw fixed the oil issue by the second year. (our '09's.)
Hopefully the rings haven't slammed the grooves they ride in to spread the
piston walls and scuff the cylinder leading to massive oil burning. Maybe it's oil getting
past in the widened groove. Keeping my
fingers crossed that the problem goes WAY down during regular riding on the
pavement. Please let us know how this is progressing or regressing soon,

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at your countershaft seals remove the front sprocket. look for excess oil in that area. If the chain is tightened too much and then ridden hard the seal can be damaged causing oil to leak out it was the cause of my oil leak.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Try changing to 10w40 oil. 20w50 is awfully heavy for moderate temps. The oilrings may not be able to control the heavy oil. It won't hurt to try it.
Using 10w40 I changed brands and the engine started using oil. I went back to the Castrol 10w40 and it stopped.

I have oiled my airfilters with engine oil for years. Should be no problem.
jj

1 - 6 of 6 Posts